Chapter 72 : Papillon

It was one in the morning. Spangna was laying next to Marcel who was propped up slightly on pillows with one arm around her, as he slowly read some of her old copies of British tabloid newspapers. Some were several months old as she bought them only when she found a place selling them.

She was cutting to size a small picture of herself. "Give me your wallet."

Marcel reached over to the bed table where his phone and wallet were. He picked up his grey Chanel wallet and passed it to her.

Spangna fit the picture of herself in the clear sleeve. "There!"

"That is perfect. Thank you!" Marcel said as he put his arm around her.

She looked through his cards and wallet and she found around eight hundred euros in cash, as well as his motorbike licence card and one of his old business cards.

"Can you drive a car, dear?" Spangna asked.

"Non mon petit, I never have. Only motorbikes. But I could understand it, if I tried." Marcel answered.

"I can drive! I'll take you around. " Spangna said excitedly as she continued looking through.

Marcel just smiled at her affectionately.

She pulled out an old business card and looked at it. "Dr Marcel L'Estrange Chiropractor. You're a doctor...?!"

"Of Chiropractic, yes. I no longer practice... in case you have not guessed." Marcel answered.

"When did you stop?" Spangna asked.

"Years ago. After I met Madame Dolores and created the structure of the Bordello." He replied.

She turned to him and grinned. "I think my vagina needs an adjustment."

"It's had an adjustment." he replied comically.

"Fancy adjusting my arse?" she asked adorably as she snuggled up to him.

Marcel turned to her and furrowed his eyebrows questioningly before he turned back and continued to read the British tabloid.

"Why are you reading those?" She asked.

"To learn slang and colloquiums. My English is not fluent like my Spanish." He said as he looked at the paper.

"Where have you got to?" She asked.

"Here." He said as he read aloud in his heavily accented English. "Otter devastation in local park..."

"That's a pun. A play on words. Although, I love the way you say devastation." she said as she gazed up at him.

He turned to face her. "Devastation." he said before he kissed her and looked back at the paper, as she giggled and gripped him tightly.

"Oh! Read this typical tabloid headline!" Spangna said as she pointed.

"I can't read it, and I don't understand it. It is English and Spanish." Marcel said in his usual quiet and whispery way.

She took hold of half the paper and read. "Brits go loco as it's hotter than Acapulco."

"is that a statement?" He asked.

"No, it's a play on Brit culture. How about this one... about the heatwave back in Britain." Spangna pointed to another headline.

Marcel looked at it and read aloud, "Bake... To the future." he looked back at her. "I don't get it."

Spangna burst into laughter. "It's more cultural references. Tabloids are really bad reading material for a non-native speaker, Marce." Spangna said as she picked up her phone in its steel spiked case with butterflies on it, and took a picture of them both in bed.