Chapter 112 : The Big Adamski Christmas Tree!

Chéri walked down the kitchen to see Monique cuddling Lennon tightly.

He could see how emotional she was about his leaving for good, and Chéri felt terrible about the deceit he had taken part in, and in ultimately breaking up the family that he had come to love.

Lennon and his mother had a pure love relationship, and it was very different to the close relationship Chéri had with his own mother Dolores, as they were like best friends and equals, who shared the most intimate details of their lives. Whereas Lennon and his mother shared a strong, traditional mother and son relationship, with him being protective and subordinate to his parents.

Chéri enjoyed basking in the love he got from Monique, and it was a type of motherly love that he was not used to.

He loved the way she would fuss over him, keep putting cardigans on him, making him snack after snack and she would iron and fold his clothes, leaving them on the bed.

Chéri was desperate to be part of this family.

Merrick walked in with a large bag and put it on the table. "Hey, hey, Mozart, c'mere my boy." He said as he beckoned Chéri over.

It took Chéri a moment to remember he was referring to him. "Yes?"

"We're goin' out in a bit to get the big Adamski Christmas tree and I want your input." Merrick said.

"I'd love that! I'm gutted that Lenn won't be home with you all for Christmas. I wish it were different. But, my family would love to fly you all over." Chéri said.

Merrick put his arm around Chéri's shoulders and sighed as he pulled him along. "Well now, son. In this life, Yer gotta do whatcha gotta do. Havin', you around here has really brightened the place up. I'd love to meet this massive family of yours as... I know I've gained a son here." Merrick said with a smile as he squeezed on Chéri's shoulders as they walked into the large living room. "I wantcha ta know that I appreciate everything you and yer family have done for my son. You've really... straightened him out. Done wonders for his mental health."

Chéri looked up at Merrick, who towered over him like Lennon does."Well, I wouldn't go that far but, Lennon's a nice young man and my family welcome him. My sister loves him like you wouldn't believe."

Merrick smiled and nodded, unaware of the weight of his arm on Chéri's shoulders or the vice-like grip he had. "Ohh, I'm certain that my boy Lennon loves Chéri with all his heart, and I'm kinda hopin' that the love is returned. Life is unpredictable and my son has a fragile heart. He ain't got a hard exterior like me and sometimes he can't see the wood for the trees, but he's a simple man, just like his Paa. I know he has strong convictions and will always want to do the right thing, but he's easily led astray when he's all riled up 'bout somethin'."

Chéri agreed. "Yes, I've seen. He's very passionate about what he believes in. My sister told me that he and her once fought over his belt. It was the dumbest thing ever but both of them felt sad after, and he really made it up to her later."

Merrick nodded. "Yeah. He gets the passion from his momma! Catchin' and keepin' her was hard! I needed a mighty big lasso too, to keep that pegasus grounded, but I did."

Chéri giggled as he listened, enthralled by the Tennessee accent, wisdom and advice of Lennon's father. Even though he found it strange to seemingly speak to a version of Lennon, aged by decades.

"I knew what people were sayin' 'bout us. Because we weren't a conventional couple. She was a young Parisian beauty, fresh out her first marriage, and I was just a simple, southern good 'ol boy with a dream that she'd come live with me here in Tennessee. People laughed and said unkind stuff 'bout us both and our motives. But we darn knew what we had. You gotta jus give in, and follow your heart." Merrick said.