Chapter 38 : The Man In The Venetian Plague Doctor Crow Mask / The illicit Kiss

"Lennon!" Serena said as she walked up with a glass of whiskey. "I thought you'd need a stiff drink."

"Serena, who were the dancers?" Lennon asked as he took the glass from her.

"Various people from the Bordello, most of whom are stars doing meet and greets for the online auction." Serena said.

"Who was... the man in the plague doctor mask?" Lennon asked

"Whispered rumour says that he is currently Spangna's ex-boyfriend. They had a troubled on/off relationship, but it's called it off at the moment, I think." Serena said.

"Oh, I don't think I've met him. He sure danced well with Chéri." Lennon said.

Serena looked down, "I don't think you have."

"Serena...?" Lennon started, "If you knew... things, and I asked you, would you tell me?" Lennon asked.

Serena kept her eyes to the floor. "I don't know... how candidly we can talk together?"

"Very. You can tell me anything." Lennon responded quietly.

"I don't feel I can, without making trouble or embarrassing myself." Serena answered, equally as quietly.

"How could you embarrass yourself?"

"I just could." She said.

"But, if you could help me, by filling me in on what's going on around here, you would?" Lennon asked.

"What would you want to know specifically?" She asked.

"The names of any of Chéri's exes here."

"The only thing in it for me would be a whole lot of trouble. A lot of it is based on rumours anyway." Serena said.

"No! I mean, I could give you money if it helped? Make it worth your while." Lennon suggested.

"I don't want money off you! What a ridiculous thing to say!" She answered, indignantly.

"Well, I just hate askin' for somethin' for nothin'." Lennon explained.

Serena giggled, "I love the way you talk, the rare times you do."

"Darlin', I'll talk to you a lot if ya like it." Lennon said as he leant against the wall.

"I love it when you call me that, I really do." Serena said with a shy smile.

Lennon tapped his head backwards against the wall. "Ohhh, I think I get it."

"What?"

"Serena, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and you can deck me if I'm wrong, but are you... a 'lil sweet on me?" Lennon asked in a low tone.

Serena continued to stare down until a guilty, Chériesque smile crept across her face. "Well, I think maybe a little gesture, like a little kiss, would be nice in return." she said excitedly.

"Okay, okay." Lennon said in a low tone before he leant in towards her ear. "Come out with me round the back, in the maze, and I'll sort you out."

Serena grabbed Lennon's arm. "You'll 'sort me out'?" She asked.

He just winked to her in response, to which she felt a rush of emotion and illicit excitement.

They walked out to the far of the garden and entered an area of the maze, then Lennon looked all around for anyone else who may have a field of vision. They continued walking to the furthest part of a large hedged area, and once they were out of sight of the main building, Lennon put his arm around Serena's waist as they walked to a quiet hedged corner with a low brick wall.