Chapter 9 : Love Without Borders / Being Watched!

The police car pulled in right behind the truck, its flashing blue lights visible in the rearview mirror.

Lennon squeezed his eyes shut in frustration and whispered a curse before he smoothed his hair back and tried to make himself look presentable.

He pulled the piece of paper out from his pocket, that had been stuck to the dashboard, it read:

"Hello, Lennon. The all-seeing eye sees you. Go on your way and leave this area, now."

What kind of bullshit is this?

But now, the police lights...

But his mind returned to the police car. Was he being stopped because someone had reported a fight? What could he use as a reason for being parked here?

Lennon felt that England was probably like the States, so he should stay in the vehicle until approached as to seem compliant.

Then, of course, there was the inevitable knock on the door.

Lennon rolled down the window and saw a British policeman standing below him, on the tarmac.

"Hello officer, how can I help you?" Lennon asked politely.

"Have you had a breakdown?" the officer asked as he climbed the step to look in the cab.

"So to speak, yes..." Lennon started, "Brake failure, they must have overheated. I've checked my brake fluid and it's okay so I'm just letting them cool and then I'll be on my sir."

The officer looked at Lennon's red, swollen eyes and looked thoughtful for a moment, "License and registration please, sir."

"Of course." Lennon answered as he took out his wallet, pulled out the card and handed it to the officer, "As for insurance, I'm using company insurance. I can give you their details."

The officer looked at the Canadian driver's licence, and the American ID, then looked back up, "Okay mister Adamski, can you step out the vehicle please?"

Lennon tried to hide his frustration with a smile, so he got out and jumped down to the ground, holding his arms up, even though he towered over the British policeman.

"No need for that sir. This isn't America. I just want to ask you some questions." The officer said.

"Yes sir." Lennon answered.

"Have you been drinking?" The officer asked.

"No. Nothing alcoholic sir." Lennon answered.

"Are you currently on any drugs including prescribed or purchased medication?" The officer asked.

"No sir."

"Have you been sleeping here?"

"Absolutely not, sir." Lennon answered respectfully, but firmly.

"I am going to perform a breathalyser test on you. Failure to produce a sample is a criminal offence." The officer said.

"That's fine, sir." Lennon replied.

"Okay, please blow on this as hard as you can until you hear the beep."

"Yes sir." Lennon replied.

Lennon blew on the mouthpiece until it beeped, and the officer looked at the display. The officer nodded, "That's perfectly fine, sir. Can I see your Tachograph, please?"

"Certainly, sir." Lennon answered, masquerading his annoyance of the whole delay, as he led the officer up into the cab, to look at the digital Tachograph."