Chapter 86 : Where Is My Mind....?

After breakfast, Chéri got up from his seat. "I'll clear the table and wash the dishes."

"Not at all! Nathan can do it! You're our guest, not a contract cleaner. Want more coffee, my man?" Merrick asked as he got up slowly and pat Chéri on the back.

"I'll get him some, Paa." Lennon said as he got up.

Chéri turned to Lennon. "Hey, Lenster. I wanna hear you play the piano!" Chéri said pointing to the piano at the side of the room.

"Good idea!" Merrick exclaimed. "Monn had it tuned two months ago. She often plays it."

Lennon smiled and shook his head. "I'm not very good at it!"

"Yes, you are sweetheart!" Monique said. "You used to love playing Moonlight sonata."

"About the only decent thing, he did play!" Logan said with a grin.

Nathan turned to Logan. "You can talk! You wanted a Pink Floyd album for Christmas back in the day!"

Logan turned to Nathan. "I remember that! I wanted that, you wanted a new guitar and of course, Lennon wanted a Queen album, which he then drove us all mad with."

Chéri choked laughing.

Nathan laughed. "Yeah, that greatest hits album was right up his street! All the operatics and falsetto that he would sing along to. Lennon does like grandma stuff."

Logan nodded his head. "At least it was a nice break from Bowie."

Merrick laughed as he overheard the conversation. "Nothin' wrong with all that! In fact... I feel a yearnin' for some 'sounds of the eighties' comin' on 'bout now."

"What about all the terrible music I had to hear from you two!? Especially during your Ska phase!" Lennon said as he pointed to Logan.

"Nah, that was cool! No rock operas there!" Logan responded.

Nathan turned to Chéri. "Martin, I'll play something on the piano if you want!"

"Sure, but I wanna hear my workmate here play something so I can never let him hear the end of it." Chéri said.

"Go on sweetheart." Monique said as she stroked the side of Lennon's face.

Lennon got up and sat at the piano, but he had to lift the seat higher so it was easier for him to reach the pedals with his long legs. He looked at the classical musical manuscript papers at the piano for the song names for something he wanted to play.

Chéri sat on the sofa. "Can you read music, Lenn?"

"Mmm no." Lennon answered, "I'm just looking at the names so I'll know what they are. I just memorised the keys and played by ear."

"Me and momma are the only ones who read music." Nathan said.

"Wow." Chéri answered. "I'm better at sight reading because I never used to study the four hours a day that music needs. But I read music basically. I used to study at the last minute but I managed to always pass my grade."

"Mommas grade eight." Nathan said.

Chéri looked impressed, "Wow! I'm not up there! But the only one who is, back at my family's home, is that French, steampunk guy."

Nathan asked, "Did he study music?"

Chéri nodded, "Yes. But I gather it was not a good memory for him. His cruel piano teacher abused him badly. He mentioned horrible stories to me about it, years ago."

Monique looked over, "Oh my God! That's terrible!" She said as she then stared off into space, "I knew someone as well who was badly abused by a music teacher. People like that should never be allowed to teach children, especially not children who are already troubled."