Chapter 3 : Picked Up By An American Truck Driver

Chéri could feel himself drifting off to sleep by the rhythmic motion in the cab, and the seemingly endless miles of road, until Lennon slowed to pull off the dual carriageway and over into a service area.

"Why are we stopping here..?" Chéri asked, rubbing his eyes.

Lennon pointed to the sign. "Fried Chicken.."

Chéri smiled and shook his head, "KFCs hardly Cordon Bleu."

"True.. but I need me some deep-fried chicken. Can't you hear it callin'?" Lennon replied smiling as he pulled up the handbrake and pulled the keys out.

"No, I don't. But I dread to think how much fried chicken you can pack away." Chéri said.

"A huuuuuge amount. I can eat a whole family chicken Bucket. It looks like I'm going to need the energy to keep up with all this." Lennon smiled as he leant over to turn up the radio, which had started reporting that there had been an accident on the road up ahead and that the delays in the deteriorating weather may be several hours. Lennon turned off the radio and opened the driver's door to get out.

As soon as Lennon jumped to the ground and slowly walked around the outside of the truck, Chéri just stopped and stared back up at him, wide-eyed. "Exactly how fuckin' tall are you?" he asked as Lennon towered over him.

"Haha!" Lennon laughed in response, patting Chéri on the back.

"On second thought, yes, let's get food. But, you should try something British rather than filling up on fried chicken. I'm used to fillet so I bet I'll choke on bones."

"They do boneless stuff now. Anyway, it's nice to have some recognisable food." Lennon said.

"True, true.. hey! is this the same as in America?" Chéri asked as they looked at the outside menu.

"Well, the menu looks different, but we'll see." Lennon said before he walked in and ordered.

"Yum.. but I want something from the cafeteria," Chéri said as he stood next to Lennon.

"Okay " Lennon said as he settled up before they walked back to the table. Lennon got stuck into a huge amount of fried chicken.

"Is it okay?" Chéri asked.

"It is soooo good." Lennon answered, "Not as spicy as back home but it'll do."

Chéri smiled, "So then! What's your load like?"

"Excuse me?" Lennon said as he stopped chewing and looked up at Chéri.

"What you're hauling on that fuckin'... thing out there." Chéri said as he dipped chips in curry sauce.

"Ohh! Oh, lots of steel. Tons of the stuff." Lennon answered.

"Where to?" Chéri asked.

Lennon raised a brow, "A big steel merchant in Birmingham. They say it's the biggest depot and they use it for everything."

"Hey, are we on a schedule or anything?" Chéri asked, touching Lennon's hand as he wanted a better look at the tattoos on his fingers.

"Not majorly, why? Anyway, I've already called in that I'll be late 'cause of the road accident."

After a short while of chatting, they headed back out to the forecourt to head to the cafeteria to get Chéri what he wanted to eat.

Lennon held the door open for Chéri as they entered into the busy cafeteria and they got into the queue with Lennon standing behind Chéri, who'd sometimes press into him.

Lennon was looking over all the weird food on offer. "So then.. what's good here?" Lennon asked.

"Well. I Don't know about you, but I could pack away a Cornish pasty, a pork pie, potato salad, and crisps."