Shadow Guard (4)

Edited by: Kuro and Lille

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took them a week to arrive at Fort Afio on the southern border of the Empire. Fort Afio was one of the last remaining forts from when the previous Emperor ruled. It also sat on the line drawn by cartographers of where the Empire's southern border was. At Fort Afio, even though it was at the border, it was one of the biggest cities in the Empire. Many people from all over the continent flocked to Fort Afio whether it be for leisure or protection.

The Liyas Empire had already conquered the smaller countries and had made its way to the Southern Border. If Fort Afio fell, it would be easy to conquer the rest of Uferna.

When they reached Fort Afio, many soldiers saluted them as they entered. Many were singing praises of having both the War Hero and the War God on their side.

Grey and the other Shadow Guards were always nearby but never seen. Grey, who was obeying orders from Prince Cecil, was practically glued to his side. They haven't touched even once, but he knew that Prince Cecil was God System. They didn't even have to touch for him to know. He had no problems guarding him all day every day.

Meanwhile, Prince Cecil felt at peace with Number 18 by his side. If 18 left, he felt paranoid and annoyed. If he felt that 18 was not in the area, he would go and search everywhere for him! If 18 was staring at the War Hero Blaine, he wanted to chop the man down so 18 had no one to look at except for him! He had never felt this way before. He never knew he was hiding these emotions, but ever since he met 18, it all came out like a flood breaking through a dam.

To top it off, his "older" brother kept trying to rope in his Number 18! Prince Cecil felt like he was trying to guard his treasure against wolves!

As soon as Prince Cecil arrived, they immediately started the war council. At the round table, there were three Knight-Captains, the War Hero Blaine, and Prince Cecil. There was a seat empty to the right of Prince Cecil as it was for the individual who was on their way.

Originally, there were no Generals at the Southern Border, but the Right General was on his way. The Left General would stay in his position to defend the area near the Eastern Sea. The other side of the coast had a giant forest of death and unexplored mountains. Usually, the Right General guarded the towns in that area from monster attacks. But at times, the Right General would split his troops in half to reinforce other places. Going to the Southern Border was one of those incidents.

Grey had the other Shadow Guards rest as he stayed by Prince Cecil's side. He stayed in the shadows, staring at each person at the round table. The three Knight Captains were strong women who had made a name for themselves. Each one had different Auras, but they were somehow equally matched, giving them the title "Tri-Color Captains". Their hair colors also matched their Auras; Red, Yellow, and Green, so they were called Captain Red, Captain Yellow, and Captain Green. No one knew their real names and stuck to their nicknames. They also didn't mind it.

They had been the ones commanding the battlefield waiting for Prince Cecil's reinforcements. They were the pillars that held the Southern Border up for a long time. If it was possible to make more Generals, they would be promoted to Generals if they could, that was how much they were valued in the Empire.

Anyway, the rest of the people at the table were the War Hero and Knight Commander. Not much he could say as he had been staring at them for weeks.

There were a few assassination attempts since they had come to this area, but they were so boring that Grey didn't even participate in most of them. The assassinations would be problematic for others but they were Shadow Guards. If they couldn't stand up against them, they wouldn't be Shadow Guards...