Spirit Investigator (10)

Edited by: Kuro and Lille

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After testing Emery's demon seal for a week and successfully trapping three demons in some wooden statues, Grey felt it was finally time to end Nora's suffering once and for all.

Seeing the success, Demon Jon decided to get rid of Nora and Grey, refusing to be sealed.

It tormented Nora in her sleep, followed her around the house, and taunted her. Even so, she, Emery, and Grey had a plan. She just needed to entertain Jon for a bit while Emery and Grey got everything ready.

Emery and Grey were in a nature reserve near the city. It was about 30 minutes away from their apartment and was frequently used as a camping ground for the city folk that wanted to escape the city life, but not wanting to go too far.

Nora was on her way, as she had to go to the agency for something. As the protagonist of this world, Grey knew that she would not die, but he still had System 225 checking in on her. In the meantime, Grey and Emery were drawing a sealing circle in a clearing in the forest.

This clearing was the one they had agreed on a week or so ago. They made sure that the demon wasn't around them before scouting the place. It was perfect. It was isolated, but it was a 10-minute walk from the main trail, so it was difficult to get lost. They put tags on the trees to help guide them to and from.

Grey was the one who was drawing the sealing circle while Emery helped from above to make sure Grey was drawing it correctly. They made the seal using a special paint that Grey had continuously poured his spiritual energy into for a week. It was pure white and sparkled when the light shone on it. They also didn't draw on the dirt as the paint wouldn't stick to the ground, so they took a black sheet that had bathed in direct sunlight that morning and laid it on the ground. They used three different paintbrushes to get the desired sealing circle on the sheet. The paint dried quickly so they couldn't mess up or they would have to start over.

After 30 minutes, they finished the sealing circle and pinned it into the ground. They placed a 12-inch (30cm) wooden statue of what Jon looked like before his death. It was from the only picture that Nora had of her "father." It also had carvings of the seal but it was in four different places. One on top of the head, the bottom platform where his feet were, on the front torso where his heart was, and on his back. The seals were placed there to ensure that he would not be able to leave the statue.

When everything was in place, Grey got a notification that Nora had almost gotten into a car accident.

*****

Nora was trying to get to the nature reserve outside of town. She was driving her car when she saw an oncoming car. It was driving on the wrong side of the road. The driver, who fell asleep at the wheel, had his foot on the gas, so it was crazily going down the road.

No one else could see it, but she could see Jon sitting in the passenger seat, grinning at her as the car threatened to come at her. She swerved her car to the right as quickly as she could. The incoming car skimmed the left side of her vehicle, sending her car in circles. Luckily, the right side was full of grass, so she didn't go very far.

Unfortunately, the car crashed into the person behind her.

"If you let yourself get hit, you probably could have saved that other person's life." Demon Jon's voice whispered into her ear as though trying to guilt-trip her into feeling bad. "The guy who fell asleep is still alive, but the other person did not survive the head-on collision."

"It's your fault he died. If you had died in his place, this innocent person would have survived. How will you live with this guilt for the rest of your life?"