Shadow Guard (2)

Edited by: Kuro and Lille

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After resting for the night, Grey quickly got dressed, ate a small breakfast at the Shadow Guard's canteen, before going to his teacher's office.

His teacher, the man from yesterday, was a retired Shadow Guard who used to be Number 1. But after retiring, he became Teacher 1. Grey honestly didn't know how most of the Shadow Guards looked, including his teacher. Their looks were a mystery.

Oddly enough, he was more talkative than any of the other Shadow Guards. He had an aura of someone outgoing and cheerful. No one would have been able to suspect he was once a powerful Shadow Guard, though.

"18, you arrived as punctual as always. Not too early, not too late. Are you ready to go meet your Master candidates?"

Grey only nodded because he was a man of a few words. He didn't mind that at all. Slowly he would try to speak more, but for now, keeping the quiet and cold attitude was enough.

He followed Teacher 1 through the hidden passageways of the palace. These hallways were made just for the Shadow Guards. They were away from the main corridors, hidden, and extremely difficult to access. There was always someone on guard in the halls, making it impossible for intruders to hide in them. Also, because of how narrow the spacing was, they had to be careful when running into others. The Shadow Guards were taught a skill to notice the presence of other Shadow Guards, making it impossible to run into another Shadow Guard on duty.

Teacher 1 and Grey quickly arrived at the Emperor's study room. Inside, Emperor Emeron was sitting at his desk, while his sons were sitting on couches in front of the Emperor. A small coffee table sat in the middle of the three sofas. There was one couch for each Prince. The Crown Prince was seated on the sofa directly facing the desk; to his right was the Second Prince, and to his left was the Third Prince.

Teacher 1 went into the room first to inform the Emperor of their arrival before having Grey come into the room. They both bowed and kneeled, before stepping to the side.

With the mask on his face, no one could tell what he looked like or what his expression was. The Second Prince was the only one who could sense Number 18's Aura. He knew the man was powerful.

Aura was similar to magical energy, training, and battling honed Aura. Only expert-level warriors could harness the power of Auras.

"So you are Number 18. It is a pleasure to meet you in person." Emperor Emeron greeted Grey.

His face was cold from years of sitting on the throne, but as a parent, he equally loved his children. It could be seen from how he wanted the best Shadow Guard to guard one of his sons, even giving Number 18 the option to choose. This showed he didn't favor one and neglected the rest.

"It is an honor to be noticed by Your Majesty." He then made a bow that was different from the one he gave the Emperor to the three princes, showing how he was only loyal to the Emperor. "This one greets their highnesses." His words were cold and straight to the point.

The three princes didn't say a word as they looked at Grey. It was the first time they heard about the Shadow Guards. The 30 Shadow Guards have been chosen, so that was the reason why they were getting assigned. Once Number 18 accepted his new Master, they would distribute the rest of the Shadow Guards.

"My first son, Levi Uferna, is the Crown Prince. He is sitting in the middle."

Grey glanced at the Crown Prince. He had the typical long blonde hair, blue eyes that exuded arrogance. Crown Prince Levi's outfit was adorned in gold, was pure white, with a red and white cape. It seemed like he wore a ceremonial outfit compared to his brothers. He also had a cold side to him, making him quite hard to approach. All in all, Grey deduced that the man was a narcissist prick. The Crown Prince looked down on Grey with just a glance.