231 » stefan

not sure if this perfectly follows the request, i tried to make this short-ish ((it's about 1600 words)) so it was kind of hard to do the "you fall for human!stefan" part in such a short time but idk maybe this works too !!

///

Imagine trying to stop Stefan from taking the cure for vampirism but you're too late, but you fall for human!Stefan

  When you and your boyfriend Stefan first got the cure for vampirism in your hands, you were blissful - it meant that you and him could be human together, start a family, live a somewhat normal life. You had been patiently waiting for an opportunity like this, and everyone knew that you, and him, deserved it the most so when the cure was found, it was straight away given to the younger Salvatore.

  Your happiness lasted for full two days, and ended when you found out some unsettling information from Rebekah. She had been doing her research about the miraculous cure, and somehow, she managed to find out that it had consequences, like rapid aging and eventual, quick death. And obviously you didn't want Stefan to die, but he would if he took the cure, which he had been planning to do today. So, you were in a hurry for a rather good reason.

  Driven by the sole want to save your soulmate, you maintained an impressive pace that took your breath away, and made your calves ache, but it was worth it. The determinated urge in your heart and the motivation kick, caused you to captivate such speed, you could barely remember the last time your feet moved so rapidly. You had no time to wait for someone to give you a ride home, you had to get there right away, and therefore, you had started to run from Mystic Grill towards the boarding house in a rush. The destination you seeked wasn't far away, and that alone got you moving faster, and as adrenaline pumped through your veins, you erupted into a sprint.

  The bright sky made you feel energetic, and the small wind tugging on your open hair caused the slightest of smiles appear to your face while you ran across a road, sided by tall pines that were shining in brand new green. The sweat that your forehead had collected in the past ten minutes, made the shiny strands of hair stick to your warm skin, but you ignored it, as you had previously done with the aching all over your body. It had been too long since you exercised, or even ran a bit, so you were evidently exhausted, but for the sake of your boyfriend's immortality, you kept on going.

  For multiple times, more than you liked to admit, you nearly tripped over your feet, and your hasty posture turned many heads as you bypassed the colorful houses by the street. And soon, you'd arrive at the front door of a house that you had been in this morning, yet it felt like days had went by.

  In a few minutes, you already stumbled to the door, and you pushed it open, making your way inside while panting and gasping for air. Your whole body ached, and you wanted to just collapse and never take a single step again, but you needed to find Stefan so you kept on going. You called out his name, and when he didn't reply, you were mildly worried and on the verge of tears, assuming the worst, but you tried to be strong. You strided through the rooms, the back of your hand wiping sweat off of your forehead and your breath uneven as you paced around the house until you found your boyfriend.

  "No", you breathed out when you saw Stefan on the couch, unconscious, with a calm look painted on his features. On his hand, was the vial where the cure had been, but now it was running in his system and it made you cry. Finally, you allowed your legs to fail underneath you, and you fell on the couch where he resided, and while crying, you crawled under him and placed his head on your lap. You wiped your eyes, and tried to smile - this was supposed to be your key to happiness, but it would just end with his death.

  Whilst cradling his unconscious body, you closed your eyes and tried to take deep breaths, letting yourself fall into deep thought to cherish all the memories you had made with Stefan. You knew you'd never forget the adorable dork who blushed heavily and offered to join you after your date stood you up, or the charming gentleman who took you to dances and formal events, or the kind-hearted vampire who always kept you safe and smiling. He had certainly made you much happier than anyone, and the months you had shared with him were no doubt the best, most exciting of your entire life.

  You weren't quite sure how you'd ever move on. Assuming there even was a way, but as you looked at those long eyelashes, smooth skin, pink plump lips, and caressed his soft cheek and his fluffy hair, you seriously doubted it. If you really had to let him go at some point, you'd lose yourself as well.

  For minutes, which felt like hours, you cried over your boyfriend, and pushed every detail of his appearance deep into your mind. You remembered all the things you had done together, the evolving of your relationship, the sweet things he had told you during the months you had spent together. Only after a while, he woke up gasping, and you stopped crying just because you were too damn happy to look into those green eyes again. You calmed down, or at least tried, and as Stefan slowly pushed himself up from the couch, you wrapped your arms tightly around him.

  "Y/N", Stefan whispered, "easy there", feeling the air get knocked out of him as you squeezed him against your body. You giggled softly, but couldn't hide the sadness when Stefan tested if he was still a vampire, only to find out that the cure had worked. He was human, and although you wanted to be happy, and smile like he did, you could only frown and look down in sadness and worry. And obviously, he noticed. He knew you better than anyone, and even though you tried, although poorly but tried nonetheless, to hide your low mood, Stefan didn't let it slip through his fingers.

  "What is it?", he murmured, his lips pressing against your shoulder while his hand grabbed yours and your fingers interlocked. A heavy sigh escaped your mouth, and you tried to shake your head but you had barely done so when Stefan already sneaked a finger underneath your chin, and lifted it so he could look into your eyes. He smiled carefully, and you let out another sigh, though this time it was adoring and aimed at his flawless features. "I don't need to be a vampire to know when something's bothering you", he added and nudged you with his elbow to push you into speaking up.

  "I'm happy, believe me, I mean, you're finally human... But Rebekah told me that the consequences involve rapid aging and that means, you'll die in no time since you're like a billion years old", you ranted, throwing your hands in the air while breaking into tears again. Stefan chuckled fondly, and wrapped his hands around your wrists, pulling your hands down and calming you down as his eyes searched for yours. You were starting to panic, and your breathing got rapid, but as he locked his eyes with yours again and gave you a warm smile, you found some kind of inner peace.

  "Oh, please, Y/N. I'm just a toddler compared to the Mikaelsons", Stefan grinned, making you chuckle as you looked down again. "And, Rebekah was wrong. I don't know if she was lying or if she just didn't know, but as long as the cure is in my system, I'll be fine. If it's drained out of me, I'll start to age quickly, but right now, there is nothing to worry about", he continued, running his thumb over the back of your hand repeatedly, comforting you while his lips found their way to your forehead. You sighed out in relief, unable to believe him at first, but you did trust him more than Rebekah so you could break into a smile once again.

  Stefan's arms wrapped around you, and you rested your head against his chest, snuggling close to him while a sense of relief and happiness washed over you. You bit your lip to hold back the wide grin, but it spread out anyway and it seemed to be contagious, as Stefan soon mirrored your happy expression. You took in a deep breath, his familiar scent bringing you a feeling of safety, while your fingers intertwined with his again, and your ear against his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

  "So, you really are a human", you spoke happily, and looked up at him while he looked down at you. He nodded, and you couldn't help but laugh out of pure joy - you now had the chance to have children, get married, be human and happy together. The two of you had a bright future ahead of you, and you couldn't wait for things to fall into place so perfectly. Maybe you could even move out of Mystic Falls, and start a new life elsewhere.

  "I love you, Y/N", Stefan sighed, and pressed a kiss to the top of your head.

  "I love you too, Stefan", you replied, and you sincerely meant each word, now more than ever. He had taken the cure for immortality, partly for himself, but partly for you, and that meant just everything to you. It was safe to say, you were already loving human Stefan, a lot.