The Secret & the Legacy: Chapter 4

Big House Library.

Mikaelson Plantation, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana...

It was the antique Napoleon III style Mirror, standing over seven feet tall: towering over Reto like an ornate window; and would've been mistaken for a mirror was it not for the reflection.

It was commissioned by the Mikaelson family; specifically, Uncle Kol; when they had brokered a trade deal with King Louis-Philippe of the House of Orléans, it was during that period with Napoleon Bonaparte; the second time. Carved of ash, and commissioned to be rather... not French, it would've been easy to mistake the mirror (Reto was an art history nerd and loved learning about this stuff though), and while the design of the mirror was distinctly French, it was rather Norse in how it was designed. There was a rather tree like design, with a ship in front of it, atop the mirror; with the roots of the tree intricately falling around the mirror boarders, all the way to the bottom. Within the roots there were small figures; of animals and beings, and at the bottom of the mirror was carved a fierce looking but sleeping dragon. It was wrapped around in mahogany wood, and silver. The mirror was very unique, and truly one of a kind.

A flicker of something had Reto taking a step back, startled.

He could've sworn he'd seen someone in the mirror... And no, he wasn't referring to his reflection.

In fact, the mirror didn't show his reflection at all.

Curiosity piqued, Reto began examining the so-called 'Mirror' more closely. Standing toe-to- toe with it, he traced his fingers along the lip and edges. When he found nothing but the standard wooden frame, he slid his hand to move along the small space to feel the back. There were several indentations carved along its seam, forming a closed perimeter.

His eyebrow quirked up.

"Strange," he mumbled.

Using both hands, the young druid attempted to lift the mirror but the heavy weight, and powerful magic repelled him, which had him stepping back in shock. There was a ripple of magic along the surface of the mirror, which appeared runic, but it shimmered into nonexistence again, and he found himself staring at the library without his reflection.

There was a sudden movement, a whisp of white and something; he thought it was...

He blinked.

Had that really just happened?

Turning around he looked behind him, examining the stacks of shelves, the air was still, and the light warm in the library, but as he felt through the library with his magic he felt alone. Walking towards the stacks, he peered around them, cautiously attempting to keep quiet, wincing as he hit a squeaky floorboard which let out a deafening whine under his weight. Grimacing, he peered around the corner to where the shape had disappeared.

Nothing.

Frowning he looked back at the mirror; also nothing, not even his own reflection.

"Okaaaay," Reto scratched the back of his ear, "That's weird."

Standing toe-to-toe with the mirror once again, he ever so carefully tried pulling it off its hooks for a second time; this time muttering an old spell for strength. The frame had barely lifted away from the plaster when an invisible force slammed it back down again with a resounding BANG, startling him to jump back in fear he had dropped it.

No, it remained firmly in place; almost taunting him to attempt to remove it from it's place. Any further attempts to move it proved useless.

Perplexed, Reto set about searching the library for answers. A simple referencing spell pulled up 'Volume 9' of the 'O'Connell Cursed Artifact Records'. Upon retrieving the book and sitting back down at the reading table, he skimmed the index.