The Secret & the Legacy: Chapter 2

Armillary Sphere.

Unknown Fjord, Scandinavian Peninsula...

Her breath stained the air as she skittered over the frozen river, scrambling for purchase. Flurries of snow caught in the stray strands of her braid. Beneath her feet, she felt the old currents churning with magic. She called on them to bring her to a halt and root her to the spot. She tightened her grip on the awkwardly balanced long sword as her eyes scanned the white out.

Over the mountains and through the blizzard, she looked for a sign, any sign, of her pursuer.

Her magic flared out, pulsing through the building storm, searching, searching, searching...

THERE!

Metal scraped against ice as she spun.

A golden figure emerged from the snowsquall.

"Come now," Their voice chided, "Let us be civil about this. Give me what I desire, and I will return what you have lost."

"Farðu í rassgat," she growled.

Swinging the blade up, the momentum caused by the weight of the long sword carried her smoothly across the ice. At the same time, she felt their magic lash out at the spot she had been seconds before.

Cracks radiated out from the impact, splitting the ice beneath her feet.

But she didn't stop.

Instead, she used the tail end of her momentum to plunge the blade straight through their gut.

Unfazed, they shot out one hand, gripped her throat, and slammed her body onto the ice.

Air punched out of her lungs as her back made impact. Breathless and dazed, the figure had no issue kneeling down next to her while his freehand pulled out the blade and tossed it. The sound of flesh knitting itself back together echoed in her ears.

"I am attempting to. But you are being most stubborn," Their golden eyes glowed with hatred.

She choked out a scream as their hand heated up against her neck. Wriggling and writhing to no avail, her half-frozen fingers desperately began tracing runes onto the ice beneath them.

"What was that?" they leaned closer, "Cat got your tongue?"

For a moment, they loosened their hold to allow her to speak. She capitulated on their mistake.

"Ég kalla til Gymi!" She slammed her fists down onto the runes.

She had the smug satisfaction of seeing their pupils widen before the ice shattered. As they plummeted into the frozen fjord, she executed a lightning-quick chest push with her legs, sending their bodies flying in opposite directions. Once submerged, she used the last dregs of her magic to will the current to drag her pursuer, kicking and screaming, into the pitch-black depths.

Quickly running out of oxygen, she started swimming for the surface.

Upon breaking through the water, she gratefully gulped down breath after breath of frozen air.

Exhausted physically, mentally, and magically, she struggled to stay afloat as the cold zapped away her strength. She was barely treading water when she heard something big dive into the water. A great big bear swam to her aid. Grateful, she swung an arm over their hide and curled her fingers into their thick coat.

She held on tight as the beast's powerful body effortlessly carried her to shore.

They made it to dry ground where she immediately collapsed to her knees. Coughing up water and bile, she shivered violently as she wiped the vomit off her chin. She felt frozen to the bone. Any warmth she might have retained in the water was now being sapped away by the bare earth.