The Secret & the Legacy: Chapter 1

August 31, 2040

Refr's Institution of Witchcraft, Sorcery, Wizardry, and Magic...

Sitting in the back row of the Institute's Lecture Hall, Reto dropped his head onto his desk sandwiched between Ísak Gerard and Cole Deveraux-Mikaelson. At the front of the hall, Vincent Griffith stood behind a podium droning on and on about the history of New Orleans.

"And this is important why?" Vincent's voice echoed into the rafters.

Reto struggled to stay awake.

It wasn't like he had to pay attention in a class about the History of NOLA. He regularly heard anecdotes about its construction from the very people who had built the city.

"Reto," Cole shoved his shoulder.

The teen's head snapped up to find all eyes pinned on him.

"Uhhh, could you repeat the question please?" he asked. His classmates' snickers filled the air. His cheeks burned red. Vincent huffed, long-suffering.

"Why was the containment of the Nogitsune important to the balance of Nature?" he reiterated.

Reto's back straightened. He knew this one!

"The Nogitsune is a kitsune, otherwise known as a demon fox spirit from Japan. Its element is the void. It represents the absence of everything and is a destructive agent of death."

Vincent nodded.

"And how many breeds of kitsune are there?"

"Thirteen acknowledged breeds," he replied. "The Nogitsune is the only one known to represent the void. As far as we know, there has never been another void kitsune other than them."

"Correct. What happened to the Nogitsune?"

"It was contained within Kol Mikaelson, a founder of this Institute, a leader of the Skulk, a Regent of New Orleans, and the only Original Vampire to spontaneously return to their mortal state. He also helped his sister become mortal again, a feat which has never been replicated."

Snickers turned to whispers.

Vincent quieted them all before continuing with his lecture. Reto gratefully slumped back in his chair, glad to no longer be the centre of attention.

"It's so weird talking about Uncle Kol like he's a historical figure," Ísak whispered.

"But he sort of is," Reto whispered back. "Your uncle revolutionized aspects of magic. And he was an Original Vampire. He's sort of historic."

Ísak rolled his eyes.

"Well yeah. But Uncle Kol and Tatie D were just family, you know? It's weird hearing people talk about them like they were these great historical figures."

Reto could say nothing to that considering there was an entire class dedicated to the history of the Bennett family. Apparently, his mom's family line had produced some of the most renowned witches of the millennium.

In his experience, however, there was always a disconnect between himself and the Bennetts he learned about in school. He didn't even consider himself a modern-day Bennett either. He simply wasn't inclined towards their sort of magic.

In fact, of all his siblings, Reto was the least Bennett-like Bennett when it came to magic.

And that included his older siphoner brother who didn't even have magic of his own.

Reto's magic felt older, more earthy and connected than theirs. For as long as he could remember, he'd felt like he could talk to the trees or hear the forest whispering to him. He liked taking things slow and steady and always felt centred in his magic.