Chapter 274

Davina woke alone in the cold bed, the heavy sheets were warm around her, but the bed was empty. Weak light was filtering through her window, and she could see the warm hoodie at the end of the bed. Slowly she pulled herself upright, snagging the heavy hoodie that was Kol's as she hunted up a pair of socks before walking out of her room. They had bypassed Iceland, instead they had gone for Norway again because Kol just wanted a break, and Davina did to. For some reason this icebox was a relaxing place to Kol, and it was a happy place for Davina. It was the first week of April, and Davina knew that in a few months the world would irreversibly change, for the worse really, and she wanted to take this calm before the storm moment to be at peace.

They were just outside of Fresvik, which was just a peaceful lovely place. Davina felt the ancient magic here, the connection was powerful, but it was also peaceful and welcoming. Davina would forever be a bayou girl by nature, but there was something about the fjords which was majestic and timeless; where the bayous were eerie and mysterious, the fjords were commanding. It was a beautiful contrast in Davina's mind.

Picking her way down to the back door she saw Kol sitting outside staring out at the fjord. His hair was red in the light, and the beer was tipped between his knee and fingers. Davina shivered a bit, tugging on the boots as she picked her way out to the seat he had put out there for her long ago, and she sat quietly. Neither of them spoke, she was contemplating coffee, Kol seemed to have something on his mind though so she would wait for him for a little bit. There was no rush, after everything they had been through in the last two months there was no rush right now.

The wind tugged on Davina's stray curls, and then Kol's fingers slid through her hair tucking the strands behind her ear which had her turning to him. He was looking very thoughtful as they both waited.

"I have something to tell you," he said softly. She waited as he seemed to gather what he wanted to say; which meant it was serious, as Kol was not one to mince words or really think about what he was going to say. "I have no good way to say this."

"Okay..." she raised her brows as she waited for him to continue.

"Qetsiyah took the Cure back," he started slowly which had Davina tensing a lot. "And my possession of the Nogitsune had stalled the affects of that loss, but my life is bound to yours, and that's why I'm not dead. The stars and bond we share, it's bound our lives together... me literally in this case..." he grimaced.

She blinked a few times. "What do you mean?"

"I mean if you die, I die, literally, but if I die, you'll be okay," he explained. "Your life is sustaining both of us right now because of the bond."

"So... you die, I live, but if I die, you die?" Davina asked uncertainly.

Kol nodded slowly.

"You assume I'd want to live without you," she muttered.

"Can't live without this roguish grin?" he asked with a smile.

She snorted and then smiled as she looked over at him. "Kol, we are a team, I would not survive without you, so if you die, and I'm living, I'm resurrecting you, and Nature can curse me later, but I'm keeping you. This is an unexpected consequence, but I don't think it changes anything unless you don't like this... or if you're having doubts about us."

"I never doubted you for a second, Davina Claire," he cut her off seriously.

"Then this is just a consequence, Kol, and we'll be okay."

"Well, if you should die, at least we'll both go to Valhalla for you to tell me you told me so for whatever idiotic quest kills us," he muttered.

She laughed. "We're okay, Kol."