Chapter 311

Henrik had not let go of his wife or his daughter since Kol had placed his daughter in his arms, and he wasn't going to be letting go any time soon. He hadn't called Rebekah to talk to Alizée to tell Alizée she had a new sister; and he would be until Monique met their second daughter. She had passed out shortly after delivering the baby, and Kol had to coax the delivery of the placenta, and then there was Henrik's daughter... She was so... tiny, helpless, defenseless, Henrik had quiet forgotten that Alizée had once been this small and helpless and it overwhelmed him. Someone had cursed his wife, and tried to curse his daughter and it had just about robbed him of everything he held dear. Davina and Kol had salvaged that, saved his wife and daughter, but Henrik got the sense at a painful cost to them; he wasn't entirely sure though. He could suspect but without confirmation there wasn't anything he could really accept and knowing those two they weren't going to share it unless someone else knew and shared it for them.

"Keelin said Monique is recovering well," Henrik's head snapped up when Elijah spoke.

"Um... yeah, the curse, they think somehow she was linked, and the poison or curse was injected into the linked, because there's traces of herbs she never took," Henrik murmured looking at his wife. She was sleeping soundly, and she had recovered well, she was just exhausted according to Jo. "How's Davina?" he whispered.

"She will recover," Elijah answered softly walking in.

"That isn't an answer," Henrik quipped as he looked at his elder brother.

"She lost a possible pregnancy," Elijah finally said.

"Kol's gonna hate me," Henrik muttered as he looked at his whole world, safe, alive, secure, and Kol's world was fracturing and hurt, because of Henrik's wife being cursed.

"No," Elijah cut off sharply. "They, Kol and Davina, do not hate you for their loss, Henrik. It was a tragedy. They will bear anger for the caster of the curse though, and if it was Inadu's followers or the Nine Covens, they will have anger to bear for the parties responsible for depriving them of their chance to choose and decide. Have you selected a name?" Elijah asked looking at the baby.

"Yeah," Henrik nodded as he looked at his daughter. "Vérène Hlíf Deveraux-Mikaelson," he murmured.

"A fitting name for a beautiful girl," Elijah's lips quirked as he reached down, gently tracing Vérène's cheek.

"I like it," Henrik agreed. "I hope Monique likes Vérène's middle name."

"It is very fitting," Elijah assured.

"What do I say, to Kol?" Henrik whispered as he looked up from his daughter. "They lost their... and mine's..."

"There is nothing to say, Henrik," Elijah replied sitting beside him. "It will hurt them, for a while, to what extent or how deeply will remain to be seen, but for now, just being here will be enough, being his brother still, letting him be an uncle. There is no cure to the ache which will pang our brother, Henrik, we can merely be here for him when he should permit us. And in time, should he and Davina decide to pursue having children and a family, we will protect them as fiercely as they protected us," Elijah assured.

Henrik nodded then.

~~~*~*~*~~~

Kaleb had never claimed to have seen perfection, he would never claim such a thing was possible, but the beautiful baby boy he held in his arms was the definition of perfection. Kai had the same love struck, mystical look in his eyes as he stared at the twin. Kaleb wondered how the bloody hell they had gotten so bloody lucky.

Bonnie was sleeping, peacefully.

The curse that had nearly killed Monique and Monique's child had not been nearly as severe on Bonnie as Monique, but Kaleb chalked that up to one of the twins being a Siphoner and Kai also siphoning the curse. If the birth of the twins hadn't been so chaotic, Kaleb would've sent Kai to go help Henrik and Monique, but at the same time, the Siphoner baby had nearly killed Bonnie even in the process of saving her, if she hadn't been gripping Kai and Kaleb's hands so tightly she would've lost a resource for the baby to siphon and probably would've died.