Chapter 314

Kol looked over the witches of New Orleans, he noticed how they were watching him, like he was a bomb, which had him smiling sharply. He looked at Van and Kara Nguyen who were glaring at him like venomous vipers. They fancied themselves dangerous, but ultimately they were wasps; an irritation.

"Begin," Kol gestured to the Nguyens.

"We have a right to prepare," Van shouted.

"No, you don't," Kol stated. "All preparations are now, and as the proceedings are not to be held over Fête de Cadeau and because I want this over."

"You can't do that!" Kara snapped.

"Regent," he pointed to himself as he said it smugly. He really just wanted to go home, he wanted to hold his wife, and sleep for a thousand years because this wasn't ending. But he was going to set the tone of his unwanted Regency now, because he was not tolerating this shit at all, he wanted to live his life without this bullshit. The Nguyens were finished as far as he was concerned this was just a show, he wasn't tolerating this shit.

"Regent doesn't mean dictator!"

"You haven't seen me dictate anything," he snarled furiously as his magic made the bar rattle, the lights flicker, and the floorboards groan. "If I had this my way, I would strike your name from the records of New Orleans, cast your family name aside and then I would be cutting into your back, through the muscles and tissues, to the bones, while you're still conscious, and for all to witness, then when I reach your ribs I would break them; all twenty-four, and when you pass out from the agony of it, I would infuse life force through your body to make you wake, to make you feel every single break, I would carve through your chest cavity, I would carefully pull your lungs through your back, and without tearing them out or severing connections, I would let you watch as the last breath you took left your body, and in your final moments, I would grip your heart and slowly, as you struggle to breathe, I would slowly crush your heart until it was nothing but blood and I would watch the life leave your eyes before I tore what remained of your soul from the Ancestral Plane to this plane and I would cast you into the depth of Niflheim, to the cold, misty darkness and Hel's realm. That's what I would do to you, in front of all the Covens, if I were a dictator, that's what I would dictate. As your bloody Regent though, I am not permitted to do that, so I will let this trail proceed, and if the verdict declares you innocent, I might banish you; but what happens outside of New Orleans, well...

"That'll be between you and me," he growled the last part low and in Van's ear. He looked down at the man's paling face. "You should remember, I'm not of this era. And I'm not inclined to be civilized. You hurt my wife, you killed my child, you attempted to kill my brother's wife, and daughter, and you harmed a member of my coven and attempted to kill her children. In my day in age, I would kill you and no one would ever question if I should've. I'm not of your time, I'm not inclined towards your ways, I am a heathen ultimately and I'm still inclined to my darker impulses."

"You don't scare me," Van rasped.

Now Kol smiled. "I can smell it rolling off you," he rasped. "So, as I told before, proceed with your cases, and may you pray New Orleans finds you innocent because I don't, and gods have proven more merciful than me, so you might also want to pray to them too."

Draping himself back in his seat he rested his cheek on his fist as he gestured for the proceedings to begin, he twirled the White Oak Stake as he tried to focus on what was about to happen, he couldn't fantasize about killing Van until after he was either found guilty or banished, because once he was out of New Orleans he was fair game, and Kol did hold grudges.

He also didn't want to think about his and Freya's relationship as a whole right now because she was never going to forgive him for what Mikael did. She would focus on the fact he'd been the one to kill Mikael.