Chapter 307

Freya was initially suspicious when she saw Kol skulking about the Salvatore school but then she had noticed what was missing, and then she had noticed the way Davina was carrying this heavy purse/bag, and how she was always close to Hope and Nik, and then the final nail in the coffin was when Vincent arrived holding the very thing Freya had hoped to never see again. She had suspected, she could theorize, she could venture only so far about magic and time magic, because while she had been immersed in her craft she had never been like Kol and Davina about magic, and she could venture what was happening. The collapsing of a timeline, and Kol was banking on it being theirs.

Initially she was furious, livid, because Kol should fight for this world, but then she had noticed how Nik's baby blanket was missing, so was the wedding photo she always traveled with, and a few of her smaller, more favored bits of jewelry. There was also the mysterious disappearance of Nik's favorite stuffed wolf, and Hope's baby family photos, and Rebekah had complained about a few of her missing necklaces, and Freya knew what Kol was doing. Kol was collecting, he was preparing, and Freya had a terrible feeling settle in her gut that he was going to make Davina run with the kids. His Davina, a Davina from a different timeline, it didn't matter, Kol would always entrust what he held of most value to Davina and in this terrible moment, Freya realized it was their next generation.

She wanted to scream, to cry, but now she was resigned, especially as she saw Nik holding a strand of Davina's hair tightly in his pudgy little fist, the way Davina was laughing and talking with Marcel, and Hope was trailing around the witch like a happy puppy, even holding the hem of Davina's loose shirt at certain points. Freya resigned herself watching Davina with Hope and Nik to the reality coming, and if she wanted her son to live, to survive, then he would have to go with Davina. Davina's magic, if it was a mere sample of her timeline, then Freya had to agree, their time would collapse, and Davina's would overcome theirs.

So she found Kol. Kol was quiet, he had been suspiciously quiet since Vincent had arrived, and he had been preparing a spell that she could see now. He rarely ventured far from Davina, but when Davina was with Marcel he would leave her. Initially Freya thought it was because Kol and Marcel couldn't stand each other, but both of them were always so close to Davina Freya had figured it had to be something else.

Now she saw.

"Freya..." Kol finally noticed her as they were both standing under the mysterious tree in the dying light of today. Freya could feel the miniscule shifts in magic, could feel the way things were moving, like gears in a clock, and rather itchy, like sands in a wind. Both of them stared at one another for a long while, not speaking.

"She's running with them, isn't she?" Freya finally asked as she folded her arms.

Kol didn't respond as his lips became a tense thin line, and she could see his mind working on if he would have to kill her to keep Davina safe or not. Part of Freya was sadden to see her brother thinking this way, but another part wasn't surprised. Kol had always been the more unpredictable sibling until he felt threatened, and she was saddened that they weren't any farther in their trust than ten years ago when he had run with Davina and kept her out of their reach.

"This is for Nik, and this is from Keelin for Nik," Freya sighed as she held out the envelopes. Kol looked at them then her before he tentatively reached out and took them. She watched him examine them and open them, she knew he was checking for curses and traps; he was always paranoid about Davina's safety. He looked at her and she could see the million questions swirling in his mind and on the tip of his tongue.

"I'm not a fool, Kol," she said wryly as she leaned on the tree then. "I feel her magic, and as much as I don't like it, I'm aware that if the magics of the timelines collide, ours will collapse, the sheer force of her magic is intimidating, Kol. I can't even imagine what her world must be like, so healthy and magic so powerful. You're also somewhat predictable regarding her and I know you love your niece and nephew and you'd sacrifice everything to keep them safe; they're the three people you value most in this world. So yes, I figured out what you were going to have Davina do. You're going to have her take the kids and run," Freya finished.