Chapter 212

Kol and Davina were on the steps of his house as he watched his family leave, and he released a shuddering breathe as he held the coffee mug. It was exhausting to be here now. All he wanted to do was spend a week recuperating from every spell he had done; he could feel the strain on his reserves, and he could feel the exhaustion of his body. It was like a nasty cold, the kind which sapped the body of strength. But he didn't feel weak, which made it more noticeable how exhausted he was and how he had exhausted his magic. When Hayley waved Davina off one last time, he saw they were all in the cars and gone. Davina released a heavy breath when they were finally alone, Kol was just relieved that for a change being alone didn't feel like an impending death sentence or a mark of doom.

Collapsing on the sofa he let out a heavy groan as his head fell back and he stared at the rafters on his ceiling, he found his ceiling very interesting all of a sudden. Kol was a bit grateful that they had the ability to use Monique's pregnancy as a reason for the family to leave, because Kol honestly needed some time without his brothers hovering. They all seemed to think he had a death wish or something, and always seemed intent on hovering. Which would've been fine, but Kol didn't have energy to deal with it.

He tilted his head a bit when he heard Davina settle beside him and could feel the heat of coffee radiating through the small space between them. She was very calm, and quiet, which was soothing. Kol liked this about them, the quiet when they found it, it was peaceful, he'd never had peace before, it was a novel sensation in his life. Fingers traced his hairline, before she lightly raked her nails through his hair which had him closing his eyes as he released a shuddering breath. Davina's fingers continued tracing his hairline, carefully moving over his beginnings of a beard, she seemed amused as she trailed her fingers along his jawline. When her fingers traced his lips he acted on impulse, lightly nipping them, which had her giving a small breathless chuckle as she dropped her hand. Kol hadn't wanted her touch to go away just yet so he peeled open an eye to look over at her, she was so close, wrapped up in a green sweater, and leggings, rather adorable to.

"What are you thinking about, love?" Kol asked as her cheeks flushed a bit and she sipped her coffee.

"You were reckless," she stated.

"As per usual," he chuckled softly.

"You could've died."

"Not the first time," he pointed out softly as he reached over and tugged on the ends of a long strand of her hair.

"Our first kiss...I think I understand now," she whispered as she reached back over, her fingers again tracing his jawline. "I can't lose you."

He just stared at her as she stared back levelly.

"Did you kiss me because I had been shot?" she asked softly.

"I kissed you because I didn't have all the time in the world anymore, and I was terrified you could go and never know," he admitted.

She nodded slowly.

Kol didn't fully process what was happening until she was on his lap and her lips were against him as she raked her fingers over his scalp and hugged him tight. He groaned as he let her take the lead on the kiss, his hands gripped her thighs as he just held her. The kiss wasn't all consuming, or even world shattering, she was rather gentle, and sweet, but the life she poured into the kiss had him groaning. Davina tasted like coffee and cream, and she was so warm, full of life. Davina's lips moved over his as she pulled away, gingerly pressing her lips to his jawline.

"I need you, Kol," she confessed. "I can't do this on my own, I need you."

Kol didn't really know how to respond as she came back to look him in the eye, her fingers were still toying with his hair. Kol had never needed anyone, so he did understand how she felt, because he did need her, he needed her in ways that were simple and complicated and tangled up and confusing. But it was only confusing because it was so simple, and it was only complicated because it was tangled up in everything they were doing.