Chapter 326

The cold November upon them was rather relaxing, the shortening days felt relieving to Kol; he had always been fond of autumn and winter, if he was honest he thought it was better than summer and spring. The Quads' eighth birthday was a quiet affair, with little in the gift department beyond a few quilts, socks, mittens and hats; all of which the family had made for the girls, and a small feast they kept things quiet.

Kol kept careful eyes on Hope and Nik, watching their assimilation into the the Mikaelson family with care. The only person who seemed unaffected by the spell was Henrik. Probably because Henrik was to blame for the two timelines; at least that was Kol's theory. Davina and Kol knew they weren't affected because they had been the casters of the spell while everyone else had been a power source, but Henrik being unaffected had Kol wary that his little brother was more Norn and witch than they would ever truly understand. Not that it mattered now, Henrik had agreed to keep the rewrite to himself until Hope turned; her turning would break the spell on his family but not the world; rather like a compulsion. But there was time.

They didn't have a Thanksgiving this year, because they were in Norway and while they did celebrate being American, a holiday for feasting and partying was always welcomed even as it's meaning had shifted from what it originally had been about. Still, time for family and gratitude for survival were always good things in Kol's mind, so they celebrated a bit quietly and a bit more softly about their coming year.

November killed what remained of autumn as winter started taking firm hold of the land, and December spectral hold of winter slowly came forth. And it was on such a day when he and Davina had driven to his sister's home to enjoy a family 'human day' as Rebekah had deemed them. Rebekah had made human days a normal aspect of Mikaelson family life since Kol had given Davina her first human day, and they were about monthly, which was fun and fine with Kol. The family was rarely far from each other except when one of them off travelling on their own which was frequent on Kol's end.

"I have the gumbo, Kol!" Davina insisted.

"Davina, we both know the boys are going straight for you, and Louis is walking, so no, I'm taking it," Kol said as he got the crockpot from her and held out a hand for her.

"Kol!"

"Davina," he countered. "As lovely as you are, I'd like to eat the gumbo not have my nephews wearing it," Kol stated firmly as he took her had.

"You have no faith in my abilities to walk to the front door," she muttered.

"Not in Norway in winter, no," he agreed.

"I miss the swamp," she muttered. "And heat, you know, sunshine warming the blood, and more than seven hours of daylight."

"I like the night," he smiled.

"Of course you do, you're chaos," she mused.

"You know me so well," Kol chuckled. "And it looks like we're the last to arrive!"

"Sorry everyone, Kol wouldn't stop primping!" Davina said as they walked into Marcel's and Rebekah's house she peeled out of her coat with ease, hanging it up.

"Of course, have you seen me?" Kol demanded.

"Many time, and yet you never look any prettier," Rebekah mocked. "Good of you to finally share your wife," Rebekah grabbed his wife and hauled her into the house.

"I feel like you're saying wife like it's something ominous," Kol muttered as he walked to the kitchen.

"It is, you did not invite us to partake in celebrations," Klaus said. "Ah, gumbo, the girls will be thrilled! No running in the house!" Klaus barked when there was a thundering of small feet.