Chapter 365

The magic was not like the endless darkness they had faced, it was strange, different, lively, it was bound and free, it was strange. It'd been too long since they'd been free, but there was something strange about this world to which they woke in, and it pulled towards something strange. The pull was well concealed.

There was a life to the pull, but a void as well, and it was like a siren's call for them. Which had him walking through the forests and fjords he'd travelled over. Finally, they came to a set of ruins, a red house with white trim, a hundred draugr lay dead, burned, the earth was scorched, the magic wild, the supplies strange.

Sliding off his horse he carefully approached the house. It was a strange dwelling, unusual for what he remembered outside the eternal darkness. Bright, lived in, but different. More solid. Walking in through the blown out wall he was greeted to the sight of a bright kitchen, the embers had long since died, and snow filtered through the blown out wall. There was more though, the room was neat, very clean, a turned over cup, a knife. There was strange sounds, but pleasing sounds coming from somewhere in the house. Carefully he walked through, the wood planks creaked under his weight as he walked, but there was eerie silence.

The home was comfortable, it was lived in well, and it was rather beautiful. There were strange images on a wall as he walked through the house, but they were obviously humans, he could tell that.

It was in the room with a bed where he found something pulling at him. It was a small metal sphere, he could feel the way the magic danced through it, the way the life pulsed within it and the pull of worlds. Carefully he tried to open it, the arch of power had him hissing as he dropped it.

So a mortal wanted to play a god's game, it would be interesting. Lightning arched over the copper and silver metals, the iron also glowed. He picked it up again, he would figure out where the humans were, and they would ride again, they would rule the world as they had.

~~~*~*~*~~~

The world had a strange obsession with him and Davina is all Kol came to learn in the coming months. Yes, the feat of a witch creating a functioning world was epic, but that wasn't the reason for the obsession.

No, the obsession was the lack of humans and mortals, and the fact he, Davina, and their unborn child were the only mortals, it attracted attention. But worse, they sought reasons for why Kol had separated the worlds, and they were curious; made him glad he had bound the Armillary Sphere to Kaleb's blood lines because it was truly unlikely to ever be opened that was. Some creature were pleased to be here, some were more inclined to want to go inflict mass harm and wrath upon the mortal world for forgetting them.

The elves had a strange obsession with Davina though, which annoyed Kol greatly, they were obsessed with her pregnancy to the point where he couldn't seem to pry her out of their grasps. She was his wife, and she was carrying their child, he trumped their curiosity. But Kol did accept the fact this world was far more dangerous than their own had ever been and it would be best if her and their child were secure. He just didn't trust ljóáslfar to take care of them; Kol knew elves in general, as dökkálfar or ljóáslfar were tricky and ambivalent towards everything. As a mortal he admired that, their ability to do whatever they desired, to possess that freedom, but right this minute he didn't like it, and he didn't like that they were obsessed with his wife.

Kol had never felt so fucking possessive over Davina than right this moment, she was his wife. She was his best friend, and his partner, and she was carrying his child, she was his life and his world, and he didn't like the elves of all creatures being curious about her. Despite all that though, they were, safe; or as safe as they could be at this moment.

They had been given a house, Kol had managed to get one on the far outskirts of town, but the elves weren't letting them leave their range entirely. Which annoyed Kol, he wanted to take Davina home, but he also didn't want to repair it alone. They had both agreed though they would return after the birth of their child, neither felt like they belonged here. It was a strange world, truly, Kol watched the way the city was built, and the elves interacted with other beings. Entire societies were clearly here, he had never actually contemplated the complexities of the supernatural; even when he'd been mortal the first time. There was something removed about the supernatural from the mortals, and though witches were supernatural they were mortal.