Chapter 228

Davina walked around the apartment, she was a bit entranced by it, but not in love with it. She'd traveled so much with Kol these past few years she had sort of fallen into a routine of making her home where she was. The apartment was nice, it truly was, it was like luxury, she wouldn't deny that, but she and Kol had resided in a wide variety of places. From the castle in Scotland, to his farm in Norway, to a compound in Tanzania and hut in French Polynesia. She had seen some of his grander estates, and she had resided in his quieter homes. Their travels, though fun, had also been about researching everything they could at the time about what they were hunting.

The apartment was nice, it was rather comfortable too.

All her travelling had taught Davina one irrefutable fact about herself, she was a New Orleans girl at heart. There was bourbon in her blood and jazz in her soul, she was irrefutably a New Orleans girl. Pouring herself a bourbon she walked through the apartment while she waited for Kol to finish talking with the movers as she walked through.

Opening her bags, she saw the letter from her mémé again, tucked neatly in her latest book; used as a marker. She hadn't opened it yet, though she carried it with her wherever she was going; it had traveled everywhere with her. Carefully she pulled the worn envelope out of the book; her mémé's neat cursive had long since been smudged and faded, but Davina hadn't had the courage to open the letter yet. Part of her did wonder if she ever would, or if she would forever be a coward unable to bear the idea of never connecting with her mémé again. Davina would never be consecrated with the Ancestors here, she was remaining with Kol, she even had her will outlining such a fact. She would never connect to her mémé or her family, and at times she wondered if that made her a coward or worse, a traitor.

Twirling the letter in her fingers she sipped the bourbon as she walked to the window overlooking water and downtown. It was so modern compared to the part she had grown up in. Her hair ruffled a bit around her as Kol came up behind her. Her eyes met his in the reflection in the glass.

"Love," he smiled.

"All set?" she chuckled as she turned to him. He backed her up against the window.

"The movers are all managed," he chuckled as he traced her cheek.

"Mmm," she hummed as she bit her lip, her fingers trailed down Kol's shirt buttons as she looked at him. "We're alone," she pointed out softly.

Davina didn't mind living with Kol's family, Kol also had older views about family than modern society would. He liked having his family close until he didn't. Kol was rather finicky this way, it was always amusing to Davina.

"So we are," he agreed with a wicked smile. "We could christen all the surfaces of this apartment," he proposed.

"Or we could take an uninterrupted nap," she pointed out.

He roared with laughter and she giggled hysterically. "You are a delight," he decided.

"I know!"

Kol's hand found hers and he looked at the letter. She sighed.

"There's no shame in reading it love," he reminded her softly.

"I just... I don't know," she admitted. "I... I will never see her again, because when I die, I'm going with you, I'm not being consecrated here, I'll be with you and your ancestors, and that's for the best, but... I can't seem to find the courage to read this. It's silly, I mean, it's mémé, and Kaleb's even admitted he didn't know if he could handle reading something from his gran. Which is stupid, because our grandmothers loved us and we loved them, but it's just... it's hard. Stupid, I know," she gave a small watery laugh about it. Kol didn't disagree, and she felt his thumb wipe over her cheek, she sniffled a little not even realizing she had started crying.