Chapter 310

Elijah was trying to wrangle the children into their pajamas for bed, but they were curious about what Josh had said and now it was like herding cats. No, correction, cats would be easier to corral than his nieces, it was like trying to corral wind, that was more accurate.

"Grace, you did not brush your teeth," Elijah chided as he held up the dry toothbrush.

"I thought you meant yesterday, cause I did yesterday!" she chided.

Elijah prayed to Odin for patience because this girl was trying all of his, and she smiled so sweetly and innocently which had him raising a brow at his niece. Grace huffed, rolled her eyes, snatched her toothbrush and stomped to the bathroom. Elijah looked down at Faith who was holding her hair brush.

"Mommy braids my hair," she reminded him.

"I will attempt my best," he replied as he carefully started brushing the curls. Elijah was not the best at maintaining hair styles or braiding, that was always more of Klaus's forte but the girls needed to go to bed so he would endeavor to get them ready. The front door opened and Elijah nearly bolted to get help, but his ears twitched when he heard an unfamiliar heartbeat entering.

"It's okay," Hayley sounded. Elijah got up, before the girls would notice the arrival of their mother and the stranger. Faith whined a bit, but he brushed past her in case he had to kill a threat. Instead, he found himself standing on the balcony looking down at the entry way as Hayley and Klaus carefully guided a young woman into the house. The girl in question looked like Freya, or Mikael, she had Kol's hair though, dark auburn spilling around her, and Klaus' blue eyes. The girl's eyes landed on him, and Elijah felt small hands grabbing his thigh and he looked down to see Constance peering around him at the girl.

"Uncle Elijah!" the girl ran for him, and Elijah was surprised as she all but flew up the steps, nearly tackling him as she flung her arms around him.

"Daddy!" Constance shrieked as she ran down the stairs for Klaus. Hayley appeared as Elijah caught his balance while having an armful of teenager, which had him looking around for someone to explain.

"Who's that!?" Amity whispered.

"Why's she hugging Uncle 'lijah?" Faith whispered.

"Mommy?" Grace hissed and Elijah saw all his hard work of attempting to corral the Quad go straight down the drain as the girls emerged half ready for bed.

"Everyone to the living room, family meeting," Klaus decided.

"If the young woman in question releases me I will go gather hot chocolate, it appears this will be an emotional meeting," Elijah quipped.

The young woman's eyes shot open as she looked up at him, he smiled tightly, and she looked embarrassed as she jerked herself away from him. Elijah took the moment to straighten his rolled up sleeves before walking past the chattering girls and preparing the hot chocolate. He wasn't a fool though, perhaps hot milk would knock the Quads out.

"Sorry," a small voice squeaked and he turned to look at the young woman.

"No harm was done," he assured.

"I just... you're..." the girl looked flustered and a bit sad.

"All will be explained," he ventured. Grace caught his hand as he was walking to the kitchen, he picked her up and put her on his hip so he could move quicker.

"She smells sad," Grace informed him as he put her on the butcherblock as he gathered supplies for hot chocolate.

"Not everyone is happy, Grace," he reminded her. Grace just shrugged.