Chapter 236

Davina spun around on Kol as they got into the apartment, her hands pressed on the runes as she looked around wildly. She was freaking out about what they had seen but also at Kol's family started pressing at, when all eyes had been on her, she had felt this painful reaction in her magic against the runes. Though the magic of the runes was passive for the most part, she was not prepared for how her panic would react with the runes. She backed away from Kol, her hair was loose as she tried to get away from Kol and the runes.

"They can't, they can't," she started as she backed up into the couch.

"Davina, love calm down," he reached for her, and she nearly fell over.

"Not this, Kol, this one, no," she started, he caught her elbows before she could completely fall back and down.

"Davina! Love! Focus on me, you need to calm down," he ordered as he seemed to force her to look at him. She couldn't breathe, she couldn't focus, she couldn't move, or think, she couldn't... "Davina, your magic, you need to control your breathing, focus on me," he ordered softly. "With me, love, with me," he ordered as he walked her through breathing again.

It was a few minutes before she felt calm, but she was still shaking and the runes were burning painfully in her pelvis, but not in a debilitating way.

"Okay," he whispered as he released her elbows carefully, forcing her to sit down. "I'm not telling them, no one is going to know," he promised.

She nodded as he guided her to sit again. She was shaking hard as she bit her lip as she gripped the seat then. She was shaking violently as she watched Kol get water for her. "Why... why would they do this?"

"Who?"

"To... to that girl, Kol, why... why paint her to look like me?" Davina whispered softly as he came over with a glass of water.

"I did the same thing once, it was a warning, and a way to tear apart a family," he said softly. "Framed the eldest son for murder..." he paused.

"What?" she asked.

"Mortals..." he murmured softly. "They are... they're going to investigate this, they would want... if they are doing what I did..." he started.

"What? You think..." her eyes went wide as she looked at Kol. "You think they're using mortals against us?" she whispered as she looked up at Kol and watched him think. Kol's mind was thinking this over as she clutched a glass.

"We can't do anything against mortals..." he murmured softly. "If we do anything to reveal our world..."

"Who do you think they'd framed?" she asked. "And why pick someone like me?"

Kol seemed to be thinking about this as he walked and she rubbed her hip where the runes were throbbing. "Are you alright?"

"They're a little hot, but I'm okay," she promised as he lifted her shirt to examine them. His touch was cold on the hot tender skin, which had him frowning as he traced them carefully.

"We'll figure this out," he promised.

She nodded as his hand dropped and her head fell against his chest. Closing her eyes she shuddered as she felt Kol's hands rub over her back and arms. The calmer she felt, the faster the runes seemed to cool off.

"I know we'll figure this out," she finally breathed as she lifted her head to look up at Kol. "We always do. But it freaks me out a little."

"You didn't act it when my family first found the girl," he smiled wryly and she snorted.

"Your family is the last set of people I'd ever want to know I was unsettled," she stated as she stood and went about getting herself a glass of wine. She'd get a beer but they weren't stocked up on everything yet. Kol seemed to be thinking and she left him to his thoughts, because she needed a fucking drink. "But that, that was unsettling," she confessed.