196. College Acceptance

I had just gotten home and pulled into the driveway when I saw our mailman pull up. I ran to meet him at the end of our driveway, where the mailbox is, and he handed me the mail.

"Here you go Mrs. Mendes. Looks like a lot of college stuff." The mailman said. I smiled and nodded.

"Yes. Mine and Shawn's oldest daughter is a senior in high school this year." I said.

"Well I can tell that you're proud of her." The mailman said. I nodded.

"Very. She gets high grades and she's in almost all honors classes. She loves history, and by the time she was five, she could tell you who Joan of Arc was or Alexander the Great." I said. The mailman smiled.

"That sounds amazing. Well, have a nice day." He said.

"Thank you, you too." I said, and walked back into the house with all of the mail. Shawn soon arrived home. The kids were at practice since they all play sports.

"Hey there Mrs. Mendes. How was your day?" Shawn asked as he sat down on the couch with me. I smiled at him and moved over so our legs were touching and he put his arm around me.

"It was good. I missed you though." I said as I leaned on my amazing husband. He hummed and then kissed the top of my head.

"I missed you too. Come here honey." Shawn said as he lifted me up and put me on his lap. I squealed, causing Shawn to laugh. I then smiled at my husband.

"I love you." I said. Shawn's smile widened.

"I love you too." He said as he kissed my cheek. I put my index fingers to my lips and tapped. Shawn laughed, knowing what I wanted. He then put his lips on mine. I felt my heart race as if I had just run a marathon, I felt butterflies erupt and fly around in my tummy, and I felt sparks shoot through my body like fireworks. Shawn and I pulled away from the kiss and smiled at each other.

"Rose got a lot of stuff in the mail from colleges." I said.

"They'll be acceptance letters. She's one smart cookie. I'm so proud of her." Shawn said. I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah. So am I." I said. Soon, the kids came home.

"Ewww, my parents showing each other love, this is gross." Jake whined teasingly.

"Oh hush, you'll understand when you find the one." Shawn said. Jake laughed.

"Rose, you got a bunch of mail from colleges." I said.

"Oh, where is it?" She asked.

"Kitchen table." I said. She walked over and grabbed the mail from the kitchen table. I held Shawn's hand.

"Oh my gosh, there's something from the University of Southern Maine. Guys, that's my dream school." Rose said. Shawn and I smiled.

"What other schools mailed you stuff?" I asked.

"University of Maine, University of New England, and Boston University." Rose said as she looked at them. We all nodded.

"Well, why don't you open those first and then open University of Southern Maine last." Shawn said. Rose nodded. She opened up the first one and smiled.

"I got into University of Maine!" She said.

"Congratulations!" We all said, and she thanked us. She then opened up the next one.

"I got into the University of New England!" She said.

"Congratulations!" We all said again. She opened up the third one.

"I got into Boston University!" She said.

"Congrats! Three for three!" I said. She nodded and took a deep breath before opening up the letter from the University of Southern Maine. I squeezed Shawn's hand and he squeezed back. Suddenly, she screamed and then read the letter out loud.

"Congratulations! On behalf of the University of Southern Maine community, I am pleased to announce your admission for the fall!" She read. We all stood up and hugged her. Well, we all hugged her, Shawn picked her up and spun her around.

"My little girl is going to college!" Shawn yelled as he set her down. She then continued to look at the letter and her jaw dropped.

"Oh my gosh." She said.

"What?" We asked.

"As long as I keep my GPA at a certain point, I get a full ride." She said. Shawn and I looked at each other with wide eyes. Shawn then picked Rose up and spun her around again, causing our eldest daughter to squeal. Shawn then set her down and he had tears in his eyes.

"I'm so damn proud of you sweet pea." Shawn said. Rose smiled but then she had a look of panic on her face.

"What?" I asked.

"Well, if I don't keep my GPA up to that point, and I lose my full ride, the tuition is eighteen thousand a year." Rose said. My eyes went wide.

"Let me talk to my wife for a second, and then we will be right back." Shawn said. Rose nodded and we walked into the dining room on the other side of the house.

"That's a lot of money." I said when we got into the dining room. Shawn nodded and ran his fingers through his hair.

"Yeah. But you know what? She's not going to lose the scholarship. She's great at school, and she's a hard worker, just like her mother." Shawn said, causing me to blush. He then continued. "But if somehow she does lose the scholarship, well, we have the money for the tuition. I don't want her to be spoiled but if she needs help paying for school, I'll help her." Shawn said, and I nodded.

"Yeah. But she won't lose the scholarship, she's going to kill it in school." I said. Shawn nodded and he interlaced his fingers with mine. I felt sparks shoot through me yet I felt safe and warm at the same time. Shawn then brought my hand up to his lips and kissed it. I smiled at the gesture.

"Our daughter did it. She got into her dream school." Shawn said. I nodded and then we went back into the living room. Rose had been sitting on the couch but she stood up when she saw us walk in.

"Is everything okay?" She asked. We nodded and Shawn sat down next to Rose.

"Everything's perfect. Listen Rose, you're a hard worker, just like your mother. You're not going to lose the full ride, but if somehow you did, I'll pay for your tuition." Shawn said. Rose's eyes widened and she shook her head.

"No Daddy, I could never do that to you." She said. Shawn put his arm around her.

"Rosie girl, you're my little girl and I would do anything for you. Plus, you know that we have the money for it." Shawn said. Rose sighed and nodded.

"Okay. This just gives me motivation to keep the GPA up so you don't have to pay." Rose said. Shawn smiled.

"Just try your best, that's all your mother and I ask of you. My little girl is going to be a history major!" Shawn cheered and we all laughed. Rose nodded.

"Yup. I've decided that I want to be a history professor in colleges." Rose said. My eyes widened.

"That would be perfect for you Rosie. We're all so proud of you." I said. Rose nodded and when she graduated that June, we had a nice time. Shawn and I are so proud of our little girl.