153. Bet

My husband of one years, the singer and songwriter, Shawn Mendes, and I have a doctor's appointment today. Three months ago we found out that we had become pregnant with our first baby and were - and still are - over the moon with joy and happiness. Today, Shawn and I are going to find out the gender of the baby.

"I have to say, I really hope that we're having a girl." Shawn said with a smile as we drove to the appointment. I held one of his hands in my lap and squeezed it as I smiled.

"Yeah. That would be nice. I hope that, if we have a girl, she's a Daddy's girl." I said. Shawn's smile widened as he nodded and kept one hand on the wheel.

"Yeah, me too. Gosh, I just can't wait to hold my baby." Shawn said, causing me to giggle.

"I know, I want to hold him or her too." I said. Soon we arrived at the appointment and were brought into a room. The doctor soon came in.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Mendes. Are you guys excited to find out the gender of your baby today?" Dr. Ackles asked us. We nodded.

"Yes." We said. She smiled and put some gel on my stomach as she moved it around.

"Well, it looks like you're going to have a little girl! Congratulations!" Dr. Ackles said. Shawn and I looked at each other and smiled and I saw tears form in my husband's eyes.

"Thank you." We said as she handed us the sonogram pictures. She wiped the gel off my belly and left the room. Shawn and I looked at the pictures.

"There's our beautiful baby girl." Shawn said. I smiled and nodded.

"There she is. I can't wait to hold her." I said. Shawn nodded.

"Same here." He said. We soon left and went home. After being home for an hour, Shawn's phone rang. He left the room, and when he came back, he looked so defeated. I instantly felt concerned.

"What's wrong babe?" I asked. Shawn sat down on the couch next to me and put his head in his hands. I rubbed his back, hoping to comfort him and maybe get him to talk. He finally looked up at me.

"That was Andrew." Shawn said. I nodded.

"Okay?" I asked, urging him to continue. Shawn sighed.

"They booked me to do Jimmy Fallon next week." Shawn said. Oh.

"Oh. Okay. Well you always have fun on Jimmy's show, right?" I asked, still rubbing my husband's back. He nodded.

"Yeah I just don't want to leave you and our baby. I mean, what if something happens while I'm gone?" Shawn asked as he stood up and started to pace around the room. I stood up and walked over to him. I held his face in my hands and made him look at me.

"Shawny, we're going to be fine. I have my mom, I have Grace, we're going to be okay, I promise." I reassured him.

"Are you sure? Because I can ask Andrew to cancel it." Shawn asked and said. I shook my head no.

"Nope. You're going on the Tonight Show Mr. Mendes." I said with a smile. Shawn smiled back as he suddenly hugged me. I, of course, hugged back.

"Okay. Let's sit down." Shawn said, and we did just that. Suddenly, a thought popped into my head.

"Let's make a bet." I said to Shawn with a smirk. He chuckled.

"Okay. And what would this bet be?" Shawn asked.

"Let's try to keep the gender of the baby a secret. So, if at any point during the next six months that I'm pregnant, you reveal the gender of the baby, you have to pay me a hundred dollars, but if you keep it a secret for the next six months, I have to pay you a hundred dollars." I said. Shawn laughed and nodded.