42. You Can't Sleep

I laid there in bed, feeling restless. I had been laying in bed for three hours with no rest. My boyfriend of four years, Shawn Mendes, and I went to bed early, at nine. It's midnight and I have gotten zero hours of sleep. Not a single wink. I tossed and turned gently because I didn't want to wake up Shawn, but sure enough, I did.

"Baby? You okay?" Shawn asked.

"I can't sleep." I said with a groan. Shawn pulled me close to him.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry. What time is it?" Shawn asked.

"Midnight." I said.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Shawn asked me.

"I didn't want to bother you." I said.

"Oh my love, you never bother me, ever. Do you want me to sing to you?" Shawn asked. I shook my head.

"I actually want to get up. I'm not even tired." I said.

"Baby, you have to sleep." Shawn said.

"But I'm not tired honey." I said.

"I know. Do you want me to get up with you?" Shawn asked. I shook my head.

"No, you rest. I'll just make some coffee and read something." I said. Shawn shook his head at me.

"No baby girl. I'm going to stay up with you." Shawn said.

"Are you sure?" I asked. Shawn nodded his head.

"Positive my love." Shawn said.

"Okay. Come on." I said. Shawn and I stood up out of bed and he ran over to me. He picked me up, causing me to squeal. "What are you doing?" I asked with a laugh.

"Well, I like to carry you places. Wrap your legs around my waist honey." He said. I did as told and wrapped my arms around his neck loosely.

"I love you Shawn." I said as Shawn carried me down the stairs.

"I love you too my dear." Shawn said. I smiled at him as he carried me into the kitchen and set me down on the counter. "I'll make the coffee." Shawn said. I nodded.

"Okay." I said. I'll never forget Shawn asking me just how I liked my coffee out the blue when we first started dating. When I asked him why he wanted to know, he had said it was because he wanted to know everything about me. I smiled at the memory.

"What are you smiling about Y/n?" Shawn asked. I told him and he smiled too. "I like to know things about you. You're my favorite girl. You're actually my favorite person out of everyone in this whole wide world." Shawn said. I smiled at him as he came to stand in between my legs. I brushed a stray curl out of his face.

"You're my favorite person too." I said. Shawn smiled his million dollar smile at me. Shawn studied my face.

"You're so pretty. So beautiful." Shawn said. I blushed, causing Shawn to chuckle.

"Thank you baby. You're so handsome, and I mean very handsome. Very good looking. You're also pretty sexy." I said. Shawn smirked at me.

"Sexy, eh?" Shawn said. I giggled and nodded. He patted my legs. "The coffee is ready." Shawn said as he began to walk away, but I trapped him with my legs.

"Let's let the coffee cool down. Wanna kiss?" I asked. Shawn looked at me.

"Always." Shawn said before putting his lips on mine. I felt sparks shoot through me like fireworks, I felt my heart race as if I had just run a marathon, and I felt butterflies erupt and fly around in my tummy. Shawn and I pulled away. He lifted me up and set me down on the floor.

"The coffee is probably nice and cooled by now. Take a sip and tell me how it is." I told Shawn.

"Why am I the taste tester?" Shawn asked.

"Because I don't want to burn my tongue." I said with a giggle. Shawn rolled his eyes. He took a sip and smiled at me.

"Perfect. Just like you." Shawn said, causing me to blush.

"You like making me blush, don't you?" I asked. Shawn started to make his cup of coffee and then he walked over to me and nodded.

"I do. I love how red your face turns when I compliment you." Shawn said with a smile. I shook my head.

"You're crazy." I said. Shawn pointed at me.

"But you love me anyways." Shawn said. I giggled and nodded.

"That is true my love." I said. Shawn took my coffee, set it down and pulled me so I was up against him. I wrapped my arms around his torso, and as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders, I was home. Shawn swayed us from side to side. Suddenly, a thought popped into my head. "Shawn?" I asked.

"Yes my love?" Shawn asked, and I couldn't help but notice that he looked at me with nothing but love and adoration.

"Why doesn't Andrew like me?" I asked. Shawn stopped swaying us and sighed.

"He thinks that you're a distraction, when in reality, you're not. You're my muse, you're my inspiration, you're my motivation." Shawn said. I smiled and nodded.

"Well, even though I don't like what he thinks of me, I'm glad I can help your music." I said. Shawn smiled at me.

"I love the fact that you can always see the good in things." Shawn said as he caressed my cheek. I closed my eyes at his touch.

"Baby?" I asked.

"Yes?" Shawn asked.

"I think the coffee is ready." I said as I opened my eyes. Shawn groaned.

"I don't want to let go of you." Shawn said.

"Well, how about this: we sit on the deck and cuddle up to each other while sipping our coffee. That sound good?" I asked. Shawn nodded.

"It does. Alright, you head out to the deck, I'll grab my coffee." Shawn said. I nodded, grabbed my coffee off the table and went outside. I leaned against the railing and set my coffee down. I soon felt a pair of arms wrap around me and a head rest on my shoulder.

"Hi baby boy." I said. Shawn kissed my shoulder.

"Hey. You okay love?" Shawn said and asked. I nodded and turned around so I was in his arms and facing him.

"Yeah. It's just so nice out and pretty even though it's nighttime." I said.

"Not as pretty as you." Shawn said. I buried my face in his chest to hide my blushing face. Shawn erupted into laughter. "Come on pretty girl, let me see that gorgeous face of yours." Shawn requested. I pulled away and looked at him.

"There, you saw it, happy?" I asked. Shawn nodded.

"Very. You're so amazing. Come on, let's cuddle." Shawn said. I nodded and we sat on the loveseat on our deck and cuddled up to each other with our coffees.

"This is nice." I said. Shawn kissed my temple and nodded.

"It is, my love." Shawn said. After a bit we decided to watch the sunrise.

"Shawn look at all the colors of the sky. This is such a beautiful view." I said.

"I have an even better view." Shawn said. I turned my head, he was staring at me with a large grin on his face. I blushed, causing Shawn to laugh. I leaned my head so it was on his chest and he wrapped his arm around me. Our coffees were long gone by then. I'm so glad that I got to pull an all-nighter with Shawn.