The Birthday Promise

Shawn's POV

"Shit, shit, shit." Shawn mumbles under his breath as he almost slams the hotel room shut. His eyes fall to his half unpacked suitcase on the floor and he glances at his wrist to catch the time, trying to suppress the panic rising in his chest. The little hands on his watch seemed to mock him as they tick closer to show it's almost four in the afternoon.

This wasn't part of the plan. Running late. Originally, he was going to leave the moment he woke up this morning, but two unexpected radio interviews got added into his schedule which messed everything up. Time is running out, faster than Shawn would like, and he knows he has to get moving fast.

As he's messily chucking all his clothes, toiletries and anything else that he packed for the small promo tour in Europe into his suitcase, he mentally runs through his options. The flight home from Paris would be a minimum of eight hours and that's cutting it extremely close to midnight. Shawn couldn't care less. Whatever it takes to get back home to you, he'll do it. There's a promise he made years ago and he refuses to break it now.

The day he promised that he wouldn't miss a single one of your birthdays as long as he was breathing is a memory that will always be permanently etched in his mind. The way you smiled at the idea and how you instantly hooked your pinky around his in a binding promise that has lasted over countless years. Celebration after celebration no matter how old you were turning, Shawn was always there without fail. Even after his career took off and he wasn't home as often, your birthday was only the exception to his crazy lifestyle where he would come home to spend the day with you.

But this year, the promise was hanging on by a thread.

Because of Shawn's constant traveling along with being an international superstar who the world loves and how busy you are with working and other responsibilities, he hasn't spoken to you in god knows how long. A pang of guilt hits his heart at the thought even though it's the truth. After everything you've been through together, Shawn can't lose you and he hates that it's his fault you've drifted apart.

And he's determined to fix everything he's missed today. He can't miss your birthday and he needs to prove that, despite whatever has happened in the last year, he's still your best friend. Although he wishes he was more than that to you.

Hastily zipping up his suitcase and letting out a big huff, Shawn reaches for his phone and dials the only number he can think of being helpful at a time like this.

"Hey kid, what's up? Did you get back to the hotel alright?" Cez answers, concern evident in each word he says. A small smile almost appears on Shawn's lips at the familiar sound of his tour manager.

"Cez, I need your help." Shawn states simply, feeling the adrenaline pump through his veins as he paces around the hotel room. "Can you book a ticket for the next flight out of here to Toronto? I would've asked Andrew but I know how he is with me leaving early without the team and all that." He rambles on, running his free hand through his messy curls.

"Right now?"

"Yeah, like in the next five minutes if possible."

"What's the hurry?" Cez asks curiously and Shawn can hear the sound of a keyboard in the background. He knows he can be honest with Cez, more than anyone else on the team for that matter, but a part of his heart is heavy just thinking about admitting what was going on.

"It's Y/N's birthday today and I made a promise to her when we were kids that I would be there with her for every birthday until the end of my life. I know it sounds silly, but I can't break this promise. Especially with us drifting apart this year, I have to be there." Shawn explains, picking his suitcase up and stacking all of his luggage next to the door.