Girl Next Door

a/n: this is loosely inspired by Alessia Cara's song "Girl Next Door" which is attached so you can listen while you read! btw, she's literally amazing so check her out!

Shawn's POV

The large moving truck was parked in the driveway and boxes were stacked in small piles, waiting to be brought inside the house and placed in the correct room. It had been awhile since my parents had neighbors on one side so now that a family was moving in, we were all practically transfixed on all the movement outside. But more than the movers, boxes and pieces of furniture, one thing in particular caught my attention.

A girl. An absolutely stunning girl who looked to be around my age. She would appear every once in awhile from the house with a bright smile to take a few more boxes in. Just at the sight of her, my heart skipped. Never in my life had I seen someone so effortlessly beautiful. The moment I saw her, I wanted to get to know her better. She looked like someone who had a millions stories just waiting to be told and I wanted to listen to her talk for hours.

"Stop drooling Shawn. They haven't even been here for an entire day yet and you're already gonna scare them away," Aaliyah giggled, playfully elbowing me as she stood next to me at the glass front door.

"Shut up, Liyah. I'm just curious! The last time we had neighbors in that house was before I moved out," I stated simply, my eyes meeting hers for a moment and all she did was laugh.

"You wanna talk to her don't you?" Aaliyah asked bluntly, crossing her arms and instantly figuring out the real reason I was so deeply interested in the people moving in. A loud sigh left my lips and I matched her stance, crossing my arms over my chest. "You don't scare me Shawn."

"If you must be so nosy, yes. I do wanna talk to her." I admitted, letting my arms fall at my sides again as I glanced quickly outside and spotted the girl talking with her mom about something before reaching for two more boxes.

"So do it." Aaliyah challenged but a soft smile was tugging at the corners of her lips.

"What?" the question left my mouth full of confusion. Aaliyah just shook her head as if she couldn't believe me.

"Go talk to her Shawn! Just go over and offer to help with the boxes. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to have a cute boy help her move in. Since I've been standing here with you, she's looked over a bunch of times. She's obviously interested so just do it! If you don't, we both know you'll regret it forever." Aaliyah explained raising her eyebrows knowing everything she said was true.

"Why are you always right?" I groaned lightly as Aaliyah gently pushed me closer to the door. "You're sure this is a good idea?" my nerves were climbing into my voice at the realization of what I was about to do. My little sister nodded encouragingly.

"Yes! Shawn, what if that's your future wife and you don't know it yet but this is the exact moment you tell your kids when they ask how the two of you met? I promise it's a good idea. And if she turns out to be the love of your life, I'll be expecting endless thank you's for the rest of my life," she laughed as her eyes twinkled with a new spark of excitement. Gently pushing closer towards the door, I spotted the girl by the moving truck by herself with a look of confusion on her face.

Placing my hand on the doorknob, I shot a look back at Aaliyah before stepping into the warm spring air. Completely oblivious to anything except the mess of objects scattered around her in the driveway, I crossed my parents' lawn and before I knew it, I was just feet away from the moving truck. Gathering every bit of courage in my body, I raised my arm and called out to her. "Hey!"

At the sound of my voice, her gaze met mine and a heartwarming smile spread across her lips. She seemed a little stunned that I was talking to her. "I'm Shawn. My family lives next door," I introduced myself and pointed at the house behind me as I walked over the small strip of grass that separated the two driveways. "Do you need any help with anything?