Marry Me

a/n: this is inspired by a post on Instagram that Cycloneelle requested as an imagine so again, thank you for the idea & hope you love it!!

"Hello Y/N!" the kind woman behind the counter of the mail room greeted me with a cheerful smile. Since the first day I had come down to get my mail after I moved in with Shawn, she had been nothing but nice to me. The building was especially busy today as people hurried back to their condos or rushed outside to run errands.

"Hi Clara! How are you? Do I have anything good waiting for me today?" I asked playfully, knowing that it would just be the usual pile of bills or junk mail. Clara's face lit up with excitement and I squinted my eyes at her suspiciously.

"Actually, you do and it's not your usual bundle of sunflowers either." She responded before disappearing into the neatly organized shelves in the room behind her. Raking my brain, I tried to think if I was expecting any packages from home or online orders I placed a few weeks ago but nothing special was supposed to arrive in the mail today.

"What is-" I started to ask but a gasp escaped my lips as all the breath was knocked out of my lungs. Clara reappeared with a large bouquet of deep red roses that were precisely placed in a round box. A small, handwritten note dangled around the stems of the gorgeous flowers and I watched in awe while Clara gently placed the box on the counter.

"Here you are! So pretty aren't they?" she chuckled lightly, looking at the flowers and then at me. Still in shock, I nodded silently as my mind raced. There was only one person who ever sent bouquets home. Shawn. But over the four years we've been dating, he always gave me sunflowers because they were my favorite.

"They're beautiful," I whispered as I carefully placed my hands around the circular box that held the abundance of flowers. "Thank you Clara. Have a wonderful rest of your day!" A bright smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I picked the bouquet up and held it tightly against my body. With a wave, Clara moved onto the next resident who was waiting patiently to pick up their mail and I turned on my heel towards the elevators.

Catching one just before the doors closed, I pressed the button with the correct floor number and waited as the elevator rose through the building. Why would Shawn send me roses all of the sudden? Our anniversary wasn't coming up and neither was my birthday so there was so special occasion for the flowers. Shawn sent a bouquet of sunflowers back home every time he got to a new city when he was on tour. He started doing it years ago and now that he was on the road again (a/n: silently cries in 1D), there had been multiple deliveries of the beautiful flowers every week.

The door slid open and the familiar hallway filled my vision. Arriving at our door in minutes, I cradled the bouquet in the crook of my arm against my body as I unlocked the door before closing it behind me with my foot after entering the condo. The feeling of home surrounded me as I placed the box of flowers on the kitchen island and looking at them intently.

I flipped the small note over to reveal Shawn's words. A simple "I love you so much sweetheart" was written across the piece of paper in his messy but easily recognizable handwriting. A happy smile bloomed on my lips as my eyes traveled over the six words that meant so much. Quickly picking up my phone, I opened my messages to send a text to Shawn.

Me: hey baby, thank you sooo much for the roses. they're absolutely stunning and I love them. you're the sweetest & I miss you tons. hope europe is treating you well, I love you xx

Locking my phone and setting it down again, I noticed one rose was positioned higher than the others and with curiosity, I gently pulled it from the bunch. Twisting it in my hands, my eyes took in every detail about the deep red flower and that's when I saw the small folds of the petals. They were paper roses. Even more confused but intrigued, I lightly tugged at the edge and slowly, the flower unfolded in my fingers.