The Night We Met

a/n: this is for @Shawnmandas2! thank you for the request & I hope you love it! also, this one is connected to a previously posted imagine, "Like To Be You". enjoy!

The VMA's. Never in a million years did I think I would've gotten the chance to attend the iconic award show but here I was. Rubbing my hands over the soft fabric of my navy blue fit and flare dress, I crossed my ankles while sitting in the cushioned seat. The arena was packed and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that this wasn't a dream.

Ariana sat next to me, her eyes on the stage in front of us and my eyes flicked between my phone and her. At any minute, I would recieve the text message from her manager for us to head backstage.

I secured a summer internship with Republic Records, Ariana's record label, and when they told me I would be her publicist for the season, my heart almost stopped. Ariana Grande.  I would be working for Ariana Grande. It took me days to try and understand that this was really happening. But when we first met and she hugged me tightly, all my nerves and worries about working for her melted away.

The whole summer I had been traveling the country with her to attend events, award shows, and concerts. Extremely fast we became best friends and her crew accepted me into their group. This job was an absolute dream come true and when Ari decided to attend the 2016 VMA's because she was nominated multiple times, she made sure I was the first to know.

Just as the lights dimmed and a booming voice filled the arena, my phone vibrated in my hand. The text from Ariana's manager. We had a strict schedule to stick to from her performance with Nicki Minaj and then she had to stay backstage for the announcement of the winner for the Best Pop Video.

"Ari, we've gotta go." I whispered urgently, turning to her. With a simple nod, she squeezed my shoulder lightly and stood up with me. Making our way down through the rows of celebrities, we got to the main floor before walking around the many cameras that were focused on the stage. A security guard opened a door to the corridor, bathing us in a bright light and the craziness of backstage was completely in sight. "Okay, outfit change first and then I'll go grab Nicki. Remember you're staying in that until after the award is presented because there isn't enough time in between to change again," I explained confidently as we entered her dressing room.

"Got it. You're amazing you know that? Maybe I should convince the label to hire you as my full time publicist instead of just an intern. You're better than anyone we've ever had before," Ariana exclaimed cheerfully, reaching for the outfit she had to change into. A shy blush crept into my cheeks at her compliment. Even though I worked hard and loved what I did, it never occured to me others paid attention, especially Ariana, who as a global superstar had many other things to worry about.

"Thank you," I said quietly but offering her a warm smile. Ariana blew me a playful kiss and hugged me tightly before I left the room, ready to join the audience for a few minutes. Even though I was required to watch the majority of Ari's performance, I had to make it backstage in time to be there when the award was presented.

Sending a message back to her manager to let him know everything was perfect, I found a open spot in the first row of seats that were reserved for celebrities. Taking a seat, the award show came back from commercial break and Chance the Rapper was standing on stage, microphone in hand to introduce the next performance.

"Arguably two of the biggest powerhouse voices in the rap and pop music industry today, it is my pleasure to welcome Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to the stage!" he cheered excitedly and screams filled the arena as the lights went dark on the stage before the beginning notes of "Side To Side" began playing. A wide smile stretched across my lips as the crowd went wild for Ariana who was belting out the lyrics of the song while pedaling on a cycling machine.