Airport Kisses

The airport was extremely busy with holiday traffic and unusually loud when I walked though the sliding glass doors. Families were rushing to catch their flights for their vacations, parents holding onto their children's hands tightly as they weaved through the crowds. Boyfriends and girlfriends hugging each other tightly before one departs for their gate, sadness filling their hearts, a feeling I know too well. Piles of magazines stacked on chairs as groups of people wait to board their plane as kids snack on bags of candy and chips bought from one of the hundreds hidden throughout the airport. Suitcases went for their usual carousel ride before being claimed by their owner, waiting to be taken home. Lines of people snaked up to be checked in, clutching their ticket and tapping their feet impatiently. The board of flight details flashed with cancellations, delays and arrival times as eyes widened with the news of one of the thousands of flights displayed on the board.

Only a few hours to go until Shawn was finally back home.

Shawn had been on tour for six months now and I missed him more than anything. He had one small three month long break in the middle of the craziness where he came home and surprised me but was ripped away again to complete the rest of the tour. After months of endless FaceTime calls, texts and "I miss you's", Shawn was finally coming home and I couldn't even begin to explain the happiness rushing through my body.

The condo always feels so empty when Shawn is away, like something is constantly missing from the room. His happy, heart warming laugh doesn't fill the hallways, the soft sound of his footsteps padding on the carpet is lost for months and our bed is always colder without him sleeping next to me. He makes home feel like home and without him, a part of me is missing.

An intercom voice snapped me out of my thoughts announcing the arrival of a plane from Los Angeles, one from Houston, and one from Vancouver. None of them Shawn's. Quickly checking my watch for the time, I noticed there was still just about two hours until Shawn's plane came in from Mexico City. Letting out a soft sigh, I began heading towards the correct gate, a smile plastered across my face at the thought of seeing my boyfriend again. Just as I made my way through a crowd gathered outside a Tim Horton's, my phone buzzed in my pocket, signaling an incoming text message. Pulling my phone out of my jeans, I spotted an open seat near one of the extremely large windows that gave you a clear view of the planes landing and taking off the runway, claimed it and opening the message.

Shawn: hey babygirl, I'm sure when this'll get to you but just wanted to say I love you and I can't wait to hug super tight and give you endless kisses. so excited to see you again love xx be there before you know it

A soft smile bloomed on my lips as I finished reading Shawn's message that must've been sent hours ago but just arriving on my phone now. I watched a plane take off in the bright sunlight before turning back to my phone to type my response out knowing he probably wouldn't get it until he landed.

You: I love you too and I can't wait to see you soon baby. You're going to get the biggest hug of your entire life when you get here, see you soon xx

After watching the planes for a few minutes and taking perfect boomerangs for my Instagram story, I stood from my seat, replacing my phone in my pocket to continue on the way to Shawn's gate. Despite the large crowds that filled the airport, seemingly no one recongized me, everyone was busy getting to their next destination that I was just another random girl at the airport. A sign hung from the ceiling directing me to Gate 228, a small arrow pointing ahead. My feet lead me in the right direction and in a few minutes, the large, familair red Air Canada logo that was painted on the wall, came into view. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as my eyes wandered over the sitting area of the gate, spotting another Tim Horton's and decided to get a coffee.