Guitar Lessons

The cool wood of Shawn's guitar rested against my crisscrossed legs on the soft bed in our bedroom. Multiple marked up pages of music were spread out on the white comforter in front of me as I delicately placed my fingers in the correct position on the neck of the guitar. Pulling the small green pick that Shawn always uses from between my lips, I carefully strummed and an in tune chord filled the room. A smile slowly grew on face as I took one last look at the pages on the bed and started playing the song. My fingers danced along the guitars neck to play the correct chords.

"Promise that one day I'll be around, I'll keep you safe, I'll keep you sound." I sang quietly along as I continued strumming the guitar to my favorite song of Shawn's. "Right now it's pretty crazy and I don't know how to make it stop or slow it down." the memorized lyrics fell off my lips perfectly while I directed all my attention towards playing the correct chords.

"And hey, I know there are some things we need to talk abou-, ugh!" I groaned, throwing my head back in frustration. "I always miss that chord. Alright, it's C to E minor." Mumbling to myself, I readjusted the guitar and began to play the song again determined to get every detail right this time. Letting out a slow sigh, I began strumming again and my voice followed behind the chords.

"Promise that one day I'll be around, I'll keep you safe, I'll keep you sound." I finished the first line of lyrics perfectly but just as I moved my hand to play the next chord, one of my fingers slipped messing it up. "Nooo! C'mon," I grumbled, situating my fingers again and as I strummed the first chord, my boyfriend walked into the room. Shawn's hands were buried in his sweatpants pockets, a shy smile was playing at his lips, his messy curls fluffier than usual this morning and he was wearing a loose, gray Harvard hoodie.

"What are you up to baby?" Shawn asked taking in the scene in front of his eyes before walking over and pressing a soft kiss to my lips. Balancing the guitar on my lap, I gestured to all the music on the bed.

"Trying to play this song from start to finish but it's been pretty unsuccessful so far," I explained slightly frustrated and but glad that Shawn was here. He sat down on the bed, moving a few of the pages to the side.

"I heard and you sounded absolutely beautiful. I love when you sing and play on my guitar," Shawn smiled sweetly, meeting my gaze. "'Never Be Alone' huh?"

"Yeah, our song! I just can't switch between the two chords fast enough and it messes me up every single time," I pointed to the troubling part on a sheet of music to show Shawn.

"Come here love," Shawn said wiling sliding back to lean back against the headrest of the bed and patted his lap. I moved over to where he was sitting and he pulled me in between his open legs. Leaning back against Shawn's chest for a moment, I closed my eyes and listened to his steady heartbeat before readjusting the guitar in my arms. Gently reaching around me, he placed his larger hands on top of mine which were resting on the beautiful guitar.

"Alright baby, so we're starting with a C." Shawn explained, moving my fingers into the correct position. I could feel his warm breath fan over my neck as I focused on the chords. "And then, we have to move to E minor which is here." he carefully placed my fingers in the new position. "Oh! Here, hold the pick between like this and see how it feels." I nodded softly, acknowledging his words and strummed the chord.

"Like that?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. A wide, gorgeous smile was slowly blooming on his lips.

"Yes, exactly like that!" Shawn exclaimed wrapping his arms around me. "Can you do the whole song again?"