Fit For A Queen

you can blame ​the red queen series for this one! it's also my first attempt at a prince au or any in general so hope you enjoy it!

Shawn didn't expect to fall in love with her. She was just a regular girl that he accidentally met one night when his family was traveling through town. He was immediately smitten, his heart drawn to her the instant they bumped into each other in the city square. Only a beat of recognition crossed her face when she saw who he was but to Shawn's surprise, she didn't treat him like royalty.

That simple reaction, along with all the moments they shared that night when they were giggling wildly while running through the city, sealed the deal for Shawn.

And was the whole reason he specifically picked her to be his queen.

Shawn refused to go through the typical process of randomly selecting a young woman from anywhere in the kingdom to wed. He knew exactly who he wanted and when Shawn saw her name had been entered, he scouted out his mother to convince her of what he wanted.

Somehow the plan worked even though he was the first prince to break the timeless tradition. And Y/N traveled to the capital only days later to formally meet the court and the rest of the royal family. When Shawn saw her for the first time since they met, his heart melted and he knew more than ever that he made the right choice.

Today was the day of the annual royal ball that's held in the palace each spring. Every hallway was bustling, the ballroom precisely decorated and friendly servants flanked the rooms of the royals in preparation for the big event.

The prince was separated from his betrothed in order to be dressed to perfection. Shawn was only down the hall from Y/N, but he was itching to get back to her. While his messy curls were being gelled back and he delicately buttoned his neatly pressed blue and silver suit, his thoughts didn't waver from the beautiful girl he was lucky enough to call his.

Adorned in his family colors as he gently nestled the crown atop his neat curls, the royal look was complete. Shawn couldn't help but smile to himself at the moment. He had been waiting for this exact day for years, since he was a child, and now all his training was about to pay off in the most amazing way possible with the girl of his dreams by his side.

"Your Highness, you look fantastic! Y/N is surely going to love it." One of the servants said cheerfully, clapping her hands together while Shawn took in the last few seconds of looking at himself in the long mirror.

"Thank you," Shawn mumbled shyly in response, smoothing his jacket down one last time before turning towards the small group in the room. But before he could thank them for their hard work, someone hurriedly burst through the door.

"Your Majesty, the princess is requesting your presence in her dressing room immediately."

The new voice of a guard broke through Shawn's thoughts and he immediately whipped around to face him.. His mind began racing with a million thoughts of what could possibly be wrong, but he knew the only thing he needed to do was see her.

With a simple nod, Shawn followed the guard out of the room and through the long hallway that led to where Y/N was. He could feel his heart racing in his chest as he scrambled to think what would possibly be wrong.

But everything stopped when he gently knocked on the door to her dressing room.

The servants left without a word at the sight of the prince in the hallway. Shawn smiled gratefully at them as they passed before stepping over the threshold.

"Y/N? Baby? Are you okay?" Shawn said worriedly while his hazel eyes scanned over every inch of the room.

He froze in place when he caught sight of the girl he loved more than anything sitting on a cushioned still in front of a full length mirror. The beautiful blue ballgown was pooled around her feet on the floor and she clutched the unzipped top close to her chest. Her hair was done in an elegant updo along with the perfectly done makeup on her face.