The Playoff Game

It was that time of year again. The NHL playoffs had begun and Toronto was more than happy to show off their team in the race for the Stanley Cup. Every store was decorated in blue and white and the streets were filled with enthusiastic fans. Signs and billboards wished the team good luck as they advanced to the next round and chants could often be heard around every corner. There was no other city in the league that was as proud of their team as Toronto was. Playoff season was officially in full swing.

Since moving to Toronto with Shawn last year, I had slowly began to tolerate the Leafs. Although a dedicated Rangers fan myself, I couldn't help but cheer the Leafs on when Shawn and I were watching a game together unless the match up was between the two. We were both devoted hockey lovers and when we moved in together, our frequent visits to Maple Leafs games quickly became a tradition.

This season though, the Leafs were truly on fire. Breaking records left and right, they secured the top spot in the league and to say Shawn was happy about it, was an understatement. The Rangers just missed a playoff spot this year so I traded my usual jersey for a Maple Leafs one and went to the games with Shawn or we watched them at home together.

Today, was the conference final round and the Leafs were one game away from winning the series and securing a spot in the final. The city was buzzing from the moment the sun rose this morning and Shawn had been jumping around like a little kid on Christmas since he shook me awake.

"Baby!" Shawn called as he padded down the stairs excitedly with his phone in one hand. Dressed in his usual black skinny jeans, he had on his specially customized Maple Leafs jersey and the biggest smile plastered on his pink lips. His messy, brown curls fell over his forehead adorably and his gorgeous hazel eyes were filled with nothing but happiness. "Huh, I knew you'd look better in a Leafs jersey." Shawn smirked as his eyes rested on me from across the room.

Rolling my eyes playfully, I took a few steps towards him and pulled him in for a tight hug. "I'm only wearing this because I love you more than anything in this world. This isn't a permanent look. Don't get your hopes up," I giggled, leaning up to press a soft kiss on his lips before realizing he hadn't told me why he came down here so excited. "What are you all excited about?" Shawn's face instantly lit up as I spoke, a smile blossoming on my lips.

"Aaliyah just texted me. Hockey practice got cancelled so she's coming over with my mum and dad!" Shawn smiled widely still holding me close in his arms.

"Ah my favorite Mendes! It's gonna be fun now," I joked and Shawn fake pouted in hurt, trying to stifle his chuckle.

"Yeah sure babe. Aaliyah is your favorite, let's go with that." He laughed heartily before pressing a warm kiss to my forehead. "Okay what's the game plan?" Shawn asked curiously, his eyes searching the room quickly before falling on me again.

"Snacks and everything are already set out in the living room and the pizza will be delivered right before the game starts so it should be here in half an hour. Otherwise, we're all set! Just waiting for your family to get here," I smiled, resting my hands on his chest as I began playing with the strings on his jersey.

"You're incredible Y/N. Thank you for rooting for my favorite hockey team with me in this time of sadness for you and the Rangers," Shawn laughed heartily, the adorable sound filling the room and the familiar feeling of love spread through my body.

"Next year Mendes, next year. Watch out because you won't be wearing this jersey, you'll be wearing a Rangers one. But honestly, if you weren't a world famous singer, I wouldn't mind seeing you as a professional hockey player." I teased, biting my lower lip before closing the space between us with a warm kiss. Shawn's eyebrows raised playfully as he smiled against my lips, holding me tightly against his body. Suddenly, breaking our moment, the doorbell rang and we slowly pulled away from each other.