A Growing Family

Shawn's large hand held mine over the center console as he rubbed his thumb over my knuckles and softly hummed along to the music that was filling the Jeep. His beautiful hazel eyes were focused on the road ahead of us but every once in awhile flickered over to me. His long, brown curls that he had styled before we left the house this morning were now falling over his forehead adorably. The bright spring sunlight fell across his face perfectly and a sweet smile tugged at the corners of his lips. My heart fluttered uncontrollably just at the sight of him.

"Are you nervous love?" I questioned before lifting his hand to my lips and pressing a warm kiss to his skin. A bright smile bloomed on Shawn's lips and he just shook his head.

"A little bit yeah, but I'm more excited than anything. Neither of them are expecting this at all and I can't wait to see their reactions. I know Mum is going to cry ohmygod. Dad too I'm sure, but Mum," he puffed his cheeks out dramatically before laughing. "she's going to be a mess. You better be ready for like thousands of hugs from her." Shawn met my gaze for a few seconds before flicking the blinker on to take the exit for Pickering.

"You know I love hugs from your mom and dad so I certainly am not going to complain. I just can't wait to tell them." I admitted excitedly, feeling pure happiness rush through my body as I glanced at the adorably decorated and precisely planned scrapbook that was in my lap.

When it came to how Shawn wanted to tell his parents about the pregnancy, he wanted to do it in the most unique and special way possible. So we spent countless nights staying up late gluing in pictures from every year in Shawn's life from the moment he was born until this very day and decorated every page with a wide variety of stickers, drawings and sweet words. To say we were proud of the book was a bit of an understatement, but seeing his parents' reaction to the news was going to be an unforgettable moment.

"I love you so much sweetheart," Shawn said suddenly, his loving gaze meeting mine for a few seconds and nothing but adoration was evident on his face.

"I love you too Shawn," I smiled softly before leaning across the seat and pressing a light kiss to his rosy cheek. Shawn squeezed my hand slightly as a silent reminder of his love and as I settled back into my seat, I felt my heart swell.

Absentmindedly tracing the letters on the cover, I watched the beautiful surroundings of Pickering pass by the Jeep. Despite how many times I had visited Shawn's childhood hometown, it always amazed me. The man I loved so dearly, the love of my life, grew up here which made the whole town a bit more magical.

A comfortable silence fell over us as Shawn's playlist filled the car with music and an uncontrollable smile sat on my lips. My free hand moved from the scrapbook to my small, almost unnoticeable baby bump and I saw Shawn glance over quickly, his face covered in nothing but love.

Before I knew it, we were turning down the well known street where the Mendes' house was. Suddenly, a surge of nerves rose in my chest at the thought of revealing the secret to Shawn's parents.

"Baby, I'm a little scared. I don't know why but what if it's all too much too soon?" I admitted, letting my emotions flow out as Shawn parked the Jeep in the driveway. His hazel eyes turned to my worriedly and quickly held both of my hands.

"Y/N, they are going to be over the moon about this. They've always wanted to be grandparents and you're making that dream come true. I promise you they'll be nothing but excited and happy about it." Shawn reassured me, his voice gentle before he caught my lips in a tender kiss. Nothing but love could be felt between us and I let myself get lost in the kiss for a moment. "Don't worry honey, this is going to be amazing for all of us." Shawn mumbled against my lips with a bashful smile.