Home Again

"I'm getting in the car right now Aaliyah! I'll be there soon," a light giggle escaped my lips as I unlocked Shawn's jeep and opened the driver's side door, stepping up carefully into the car.

"Finally! It only took you forever," Aalyiah joked, her beautiful smile evident in her words. "But in all seriousness, how are you?" she asked, her tone becoming concerned as she waited for my response. Closing the door and sticking the keys in the ignition, I thought about it for a moment before speaking.

"If I'm 100 percent honest, not too great but it's alright. It seems to get harder and harder not to miss him every time we get off FaceTime ya know? We're going on almost seven months apart and it just sucks," I admitted with a light sigh.

"I love you okay? We all miss him but I know it's especially hard for you. I'll see you soon though. Mum is making the very best brunch yet so you better be hungry," Aaliyah reassured me before laughing lightly.

"I love you too Liyah. See you soon," We both said goodbye and the call ended, the loud city noises filling the car. Since we started dating four years ago, every Sunday when Shawn was on tour, I've gone over to the Mendes' for brunch. It began as an accident one day when I showed up on their front porch crying so hard I could barely breathe because I missed of how much I missed Shawn. Karen pulled me inside immediately and made brunch for everyone and it quickly became a tradition. I looked forward to the family brunches more than anything when Shawn was away not only because I loved spending time with his family but because they were as close to him as I could get when he was across the world.

Turning the key in the ignition, the Jeep roared to life and I hooked my phone up to the aux cord to play the newest playlist Shawn had made me. The familiar tune of "Still In Love" by Thirdstory started playing and after securing my seatbelt, I pulled out of the parking garage and onto the bright Toronto streets.

Shawn had been on tour since March, embarking on his longest and biggest world tour yet. I couldn't be any prouder of him for what was to come and what he had already accomplished but both of us knew how hard it would be to be apart for so long. Over endless FaceTime calls, sometimes lasting every minute of his days off, constant texts and surprise gifts we sent each other, our love was only growing and the pain of missing each other seemed to not exist in those moments we spent with each other over timezones.

Turning onto Adelaide Street, I began singing along to the song while keeping my eyes on the road, looking for the exit to Pickering. The perfect autumn weather settled over the city and I couldn't help the small smile that appeared on my lips. It was my favorite season even though the weather in Canada started to get colder on the first day of October. Flicking my blicker on to change lanes to catch the right exit, the music stopped playing aburptly instead being replaced with the loud, familair ringing of an incoming call. Not bothering to check the caller ID, I pressed the accept button on the screen on the dashboard.

"Hello?" I questioned, brows furrowing a little as both my hands returned to the steering wheel.

"Hey babygirl!! How are you?" Shawn exclaimed sweetly, nothing but happiness evident in his voice. My heart soared with pure love just at the sound of his voice.

"Hi Shawn," I let out a light giggle as a soft smile tugged at the corners of my lips. "I'm alright, what about you?" 

"Mmm, I'm okay. Better now that I'm talking to my girl. You're going to brunch I'm guessing?" Shawn asked even though he knew every Sunday included brunch with his family. I nodded before I realized he couldn't see me.

"You already knew that but yes I am. What are you up to love?" the question fell off my lips with genuine curiousity. Every city was different and hearing Shawn get all excited when he talked about his tour adventues made me so incredibly happy.