Like To Be You

a/n: this is for emesemeszaros ! thank you for the request & I hope you love it!

The energy in the arena was truly insane tonight. I had never heard a crowd as loud and excited as the thousands of people packed in for the show in Lisbon. Shawn had told me that the crowds in Portugal were always amazing, something you couldn't understand unless you were actually there.

And here I was. Standing in front of the B stage that had a beautiful rose blooming above it. Connor was standing next to me, camera in hand, filming every moment that was happening on stage. Shooting me a bright smile, he took a few steps to the left to capture a new angle and I watched Shawn pour every ounce of passion in his body into "Because I Had You". His fingers danced across the piano keys, creating a soft melody as his beautiful voice flowed over the lyrics leaving his lips.

Watching Shawn perform never got old. Every show, song and night was always different in their own ways but without a doubt, Shawn always had the absolute time of his life performing. Dancing with the large crowds, belting out the songs he loved so much, and unable to wipe the big smile off his face, the stage was truly his happy place. Even after all these years, I still felt the same magic I did the first time I watched him on stage.

Shawn and I met completely by accident at the VMA's three years ago. He was still new to the music industry and at the time, I was working for Ariana Grande, my singing career still only a dream. But by a strike of fate, we crashed into each other backstage and everything changed. Almost right after the award show, Shawn left for his first headlining tour but he insisted on making us work. He FaceTimed me after every show and constantly texted me little updates about his day because it was as close as we could get to being together.

And through it all, he constantly made me feel loved even if he was thousands of miles away. My heart swelled every time I heard his voice and no matter what the universe threw our way, we always worked through it. These last three years were filled with nothing but pure happiness and love. There were still days where I wondered how I got so incredibly lucky to love the boy of my dreams every single day but I knew there was nowhere else I'd rather be.

Right before Shawn left for the Illuminate World Tour (a/n: I lowkey miss this era omg) he found me in the studio in the condo strumming one of his acoustic guitars, softy singing a Taylor Swift song and he was hooked. Completely amazed by my voice, he started to ask me to sing every chance he could. It became a routine and thanks to Shawn, my confidence grew tremendously. So when he asked if I would join him on his third world tour as his opening act, it took almost no time for me to say yes. It was a win win. We wouldn't be apart from each other for a long period of time and I got to do what I loved on stage in front of a huge crowd.

Usually after my set, I hang out backstage with Shawn before he goes on and I take my place in the first few rows to watch the show. But tonight, Shawn had other plans. He wanted to surprise the crowd which is something he hadn't done on tour yet. Making sure I was with Connor and Brian by the B stage with a microphone in hand, I was ready whenever he was.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, Connor gently nudged me and my gaze immediately locked with Shawn's. His eyes were twinkling lovingly as he continued singing and I felt my heart swell with adoration. Sending a small wave to Shawn, a breathtaking smile bloomed on his lips and his cheeks became rosy with blush. Laughing next to me, Connor moved the camera off Shawn to me and without hesitation, I give him two thumbs up while holding the microphone and the biggest smile appeared on my face.

"He loves you so damn much. I honestly didn't know anyone could love that hard but he proved me wrong," Connor said under the noise of the arena, genuinely meaning every word. My heart skipped a beat at his confession. I still wasn't used to people close to Shawn talking about how in love he was. It always amazed me how much he did love me and I couldn't ever thank him for everything.