Morning Ritual

The first thing I noticed when I opened my eyes to the golden sunlight that flooded the bedroom was the absence of Shawn's strong arms that were usually wrapped around me. His side of the bed was cold and the blankets were messily tussled giving away that he had gotten up before me. Stretching my arms above my head and rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I sat up in bed before pulling the hair tie off my wrist and securing my hair in a messy bun. Swinging my feet over the side of the bed, I put on one of Shawn's tshirts where it settled just above my mid-thigh. Heading toward the connected bathroom to brush my teeth quickly, I wondered what had pulled Shawn out of bed early this morning. Sometimes, I found him in the studio downstairs early because he had an idea for a song he couldn't forget but today, the familiar lovely strumming of his guitar wasn't floating up the stairs.

Softly padding down the hallway and heading down the staircase, the condo was silent, practically still. Entering the living room, I caught a glimpse of the sun glistening off the gorgeous Toronto skyline and a smile spread over my lips. It was a view that I never got tired of. The busy noises of the city were loud outside the large windows but were the sounds of home. One of Shawn's guitars was delicately laying across one end of the couch, his journal with a pencil inside it on the coffee table. He had left them out last night when he noticed I was falling asleep on his shoulder as he strung chords together, insisting that we go to bed and he would continue writing in the morning.

Suddenly, a loud burst of music erupted from the kitchen playing through the Bluetooth speaker that's always on the counter. "Dammit!" Shawn yelled over the familiar tune of Niall's "Slow Hands" that was playing and in seconds, the kitchen was quiet again. Stifling the giggle that was rising in my chest, I carefully walked across the living room and headed towards the kitchen. A clank of a bowl against the granite counter was heard followed by Shawn shuffling cereal boxes around, looking for the Fruit Loops which were his favorite.

"Shawn?" I called out softly just as I rounded the corner that led into the kitchen. The fridge door closed and the room was silent for a brief moment before Shawn spoke.

"Baby? Oh no, did I wake you up? I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to. The speaker just picked up where I paused it last night and I-" Shawn rambled, his voice full of worry as I entered the room and my eyes landed on him. A full bowl of Fruit Loops sat on the counter next to a spoon and Shawn stood only in just his black Calvin Klein boxers as the concerned look melted away from his face, replaced with a smug smirk on his pink lips and his hazel eyes dancing happily. My jaw dropped slightly in shock at the sight of him. Definitely not what I was expecting.

"Hey handsome," I almost stuttered and Shawn chuckled sweetly as my eyes traveled up and down his insanely fit body.

"Hey, eyes up here babygirl." Shawn laughed adorably, the beautiful noise filling the room. "Sorry, I wasn't really in the mood to put on sweatpants or anything." He admitted bashfully with a shrug and his cheeks turned pink with blush.

"No, no. I obviously love the look, I just wasn't expecting it. That's all," I teased shaking my head before walking over to him. Leaning up on my tip toes, I closed the small space between us with a passionate kiss. Shawn immediately wrapped his arms around me and not breaking the kiss, I jumped to wrap my legs around his torso and he lifted me up onto the counter. Pulling away breathless, my heart was full of love as I played with Shawn's messy curls, watching his bright hazel eyes.

"Your cereal is gonna get soggy love," I realized suddenly, noticing the bowl out of the corner of my eye. Shawn smiled widely and the warm feeling of happiness spread throughout my body.

"You're so smart," Shawn booped my nose playfully before resting his large hands on my thighs. "Do you want a bowl?" he asked eyebrows raised.

"Sure," I smiled in response, pulling my legs up to cross them. Shawn turned back to the cabinets, grabbing another bowl before pouring the cereal and milk in. I carefully watched each of his movements, transfixed on the way his muscles moved while doing such a simple task. Placing the bowl in my hands with an adorable smile, Shawn left a lingering kiss on my cheek before reaching for his own bowl. "Thank you. I'm surprised you're actually letting me eat your Fruit Loops today." I laughed, eating a spoonful of the cereal.