Love Letters

The door clicked behind me as a sigh left my lips, finally in the safety of my apartment. It had been one of the longest days ever and all I wanted to do was binge watch Friends and snuggle in with my boyfriend, Shawn. The apartment was simmering in silence as I padded towards the kitchen, started playing a new playlist and began shifting through the refrigerator to see what I could make for dinner.

Just as the metal door of the fridge swung shut, I noticed a folded piece of paper hanging under a magnet of Shawn and I at Disney World. My brows wrinkled in confusion as I slid the paper off the door and finding my name written across the front in messy but somehow also neat handwriting that belonged to only one person. Shawn. I unfolded the paper and began to read.

Y/N,

Hello babygirl! You are probably so confused right now and I can practically see the way your face is cutely scrunched up as you read this. But anyway, I just wanted to tell you a story.

This letter found its home on the fridge because there is a very specific memory attached to it. When we were just getting into the swing of things, around our six month mark, we were alternating staying nights over at my condo and your apartment. It was like an adventure; choosing which home we would occupy for that night and lug all our stuff over there. Until one night when we stayed over your apartment, and at like 2 am you woke up with a nightmare and came down to grab a snack. But halfway down the stairs, you screamed for me because you were scared something was going to come out of the fridge.

I remember laughing at you before holding your hand and guiding you into the kitchen, swinging the fridge door open letting the dim light wash over the room and playing the playlist of your favorite songs. We danced for hours!! We spun, jumped, kisses and filled the whole kitchen with happiness.

At that exact moment, I knew I loved you and I would love you forever.

The way your hair flowed when I spun you around or the way your eyes glistened when they looked at me. The way you threw your head back laughing without a care in the world even though moments before you were terrified. My heart was beating out of my chest that whole night and even though this is just a speck in our story, it's one of the most unforgettable nights of my life.

I love you so much baby xx

-Shawn

In awe, I lifted my eyes from the letter, a shy smile spreading across my lips. The simple words that Shawn had written to tell his side of the story that unfolded that night made my heart feel light and full. Turning away from the refrigerator, I spotted another folded piece of paper taped to the glass door in the living room which led to my balcony.

I padded softly across the carpet and peeled the tape off the glass before unfolding the paper once again. Shawn's handwriting was scrawled across the lines neatly.

My love,

Hello again darling! You're most likely wondering what the story behind this letter is. I don't blame you. It was taped to the door to the balcony.

Even though I've lived in Toronto for years and grew up right outside the city, I have never gotten tired of the view. It's gorgeous. The lights, the skyscrapers, the street noise. It's like a scene from a movie.

But the first time we stepped out on this balcony together, it was like falling in love with the city all over again. Your eyes sparkled with this amazing light as you memorized every single little detail about the skyline that's always on display outside your window. Watching you take in the sounds, sights, smells and just watching the life of the city move around you, I was mesmerized.