Mixed Cultures

a/n: this is for hibitch1999101 ! thank you for the request & I hope you love it!

A warm summer day had settled over Toronto, giving the city its usual unmistakable sunny glow. It was absolutely perfect as the streets filled with families, couples and friends hurried to enjoy every minute of sunlight.

Shawn and I's favorite diner, which was located right in the middle of the city, was full of happy chatter as waitresses greeted customers with friendly smiles and various orders were hurriedly bustled to the correct tables.

With our fingers intertwined in Shawn's lap under the table, the two of us giggled like lovesick teenagers over the the easy maze that was printed on the back of the paper placemats designed for children. Since the beginning of our relationship almost five years ago, diner runs have been a common occurrence and playing the kids games on the placemats, crayons and all, was part of the experience.

Just as I finished connecting the dots of a lion, my crayon bringing the small picture to life, Shawn smiled brightly and pressed a soft kiss full of pure love to my temple. It didn't matter how many times we did this, my heart still fluttered uncontrollably and the familiar feeling of home coursed through my veins. Shawn was my whole entire world and the little moments were always the sweetest.

"Bet you could trace that lion with your eyes closed because of how many times you've done it." Shawn challenged with an adorable laugh, his beautiful hazel eyes twinkling with adoration in the sunlight.

"Think so? Let me see yours. I'm gonna give it a try." I ask teasingly, teaching over the table to pull Shawn's untouched placemat towards me. With his gaze resting on me, I pressed the crayon down on the paper at the start of the connect the dots game and closed my eyes as Shawn squeezed my hand as a silent sign of encouragement.

The moment I started tracing the memorized path between dots, a familiar voice interrupted me. My eyes slowly opened to find the redheaded boy I had grown to become best friends with standing at the front of our table, his hand holding a girl's.

"Shawn, bro! It's feels like forever," Brian exclaimed happily in which Shawn stood to pull his best friend in for a hug.

"It's only been like a month for something Bri, not five years." Shawn chuckled, patting Brian's back before pulling away with the biggest smile on his lips.

"Feels like it has been," Brian smiled back before locking eyes with me. "Hey Y/N! How have you been?"

"Absolutely perfect if I'm honest and it's so good to see you again!" I reply kindly waving at him from my seat within the booth. Just as I was about to ask about the girl at his side, Brian's eyes lit up before he spoke again.

"Shawn and Y/N, this is my girlfriend, Chloe." He quickly introduced the lovely girl standing next to him who offered Shawn and I a shy wave.

"Nice to meet you Chloe! I'm Y/N, Shawn's wife." I said nicely, giving her a kind smile and squeezing Shawn's hand as he intertwined our fingers again after sliding back into the booth, Brian and Chloe repeating his actions.

Shawn introduced himself but Brian practically waved it off as unnecessary because of how much he talked to her about his best friend.

"So how's the newlywed life going? Brian said you got married only a few months ago?" Chloe asked curiously, flipping her menu opening and eyeing the two brightly colored placemats in front of Shawn and I.

"It's amazing, everything we dreamed it would be." Shawn answered, the breathtaking smile I loved so much on full display, the corners of his eyes crinkling and his cheek scar hidden in the fold of his smile. Gently, he rubbed his thumb over my diamond ring which caught Chloe's attention across the table.