•𝑭𝑰𝑭𝑻𝑯 𝒀𝑬𝑨𝑹• 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 4

{Time Skip a couple of days}

Over the past few days, not much has happened. Harry went to his detentions, everyone had some more lessons with the pink toad and Charlotte has noticed that Draco has been staring at her more than usual. It's more of a worried stare than a fond stare that he usually does.

Other than that, Charlotte decided to take a stroll to the astronomy tower.

Once she entered, she made her way to the opening where she could sit and look at the stars. Her legs dangled over the edge and she sighed in content as a breeze of wind blew against her face. She rested her head on the concrete wall and just stared up at the sky.

Lottie fiddled with her fingers, counted the stars and recited their names until she heard a throat being cleared.

Charlotte jumped, quite startled at the sudden noise and then looked behind her to see Draco standing there with a smirk. Her eyes squinted at him and Lottie asked.

"Draco? What are you doing here?"

He let out a sigh and walked towards her, he then replied.

"I was just taking a stroll around the castle and walked past this room, but the door was slightly ajar. So I came to see who was in here and found you, may I?"

He gestured to the space next to her and she just nodded, not really knowing what to say. They sat in a bit of an awkward silence before he suddenly states.

"Look, I know I have been a dick to your friends for like, 4 years. But that's because I was brought up to do that, my father would tell me that I had to hate the Weasley's, Harry Potter and the Mudb- Muggleborns."

Charlotte gave him a look when he almost said the word, he covered it up immediately and sighed. He then continued.

"What I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry for everything I have done and I will try my best to not insult your family or friends."

Charlotte's eyebrow raised and she asked in confusion.

"Why so out of the blue? It was a bit random."

Draco pulled an offended face and defended himself.

"Can't I just apologize?"

Her eyes widened and she realized that she just offended him, she frantically responded.

"I didn't mean to offend you, I appreciate that you are doing this. But why so sudden? Hang on, is this because you feel sorry for me after what happened last year then-"

He cut her off by explaining fastly.

"No, no, no, no. It's not because I feel sorry for you- well, I do. But I realized that after 4 years of torment, I was just jealous of your caring and welcoming family and your bond and loyalty with your friends. I don't really have that with any of my friends as they're just my friends because of my last name and my father doesn't really love me and only teaches me to be a bully. My mother does love me though, but sometimes doesn't show it because she's afraid of father. My whole life I have been taught that I am higher than others and to act like I'm higher than others to gain respect. I just-"

He exhaled in frustration and Charlotte stated.

"It's okay, Draco. Do you know why I call you Draco and not Malfoy like the others?"

Draco shakes his head and she continues.

"I have some respect for you, I think you're different from the other Slytherin's. Yes, you're mean and a bully. But inside, there's just a scared boy who goes by his father's orders because that's how it always has been. I know you want to have a proper friendship and a life that isn't always about popularity and a high hierarchy."

Draco looked down and fiddled with his fingers in thought, she placed a hand on his shoulder and he flinched, making her pull her hand away. Charlotte looked at him before realising, she asked carefully.

"Draco, has your father been abusing you?"

He inhaled and then exhaled shakily, he then slowly nodded making her look at him in sympathy. She then asked curiously.

"Have you ever had a hug?"

He avoided eye contact and Charlotte shifted closer to him, she slowly wrapped her arm around his shoulders. Draco tensed up, but then softened. He began to lean towards Lottie and placed his head on her shoulder. She then slowly wrapped her other arm around his front. Draco shakily sighed and she rubbed his arm softly. He finally spoke up.

"C-Can we be friends? Like, we can keep it a secret. I'd like to be around someone that doesn't just like me because of my last name and someone who actually cares for me."

Charlotte let out a soft chuckle and replied.

"Of course, maybe we could even meet up here every now and then."

His head nodded and he straightened up, making Charlotte pull her arm away. He stated.

"I-uh, I will still need to act like I'm on Umbridge's side and stuff."

Lottie nodded and let out a "I know" before checking the time, it was 5 minutes till curfew. She stood up and held out her hands, he took them and helped him up. They said their goodbyes before departing ways and heading to their own dorms to sleep.