•𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑫 𝒀𝑬𝑨𝑹• 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 8

Night had come and everyone had just finished a wonderful feast, Charlotte was officially having a food baby and the Gryffindor's were walking to their common room when there was a crowd outside the portrait. The quartet joined the crowd and Harry asked.

"What's going on?"

Charlotte shrugged and Ron replied.

"Neville's probably forgot the password again."

Lottie nudged him harshly as Neville stood next to her. Neville exclaimed in an offended tone.

"Hey!"

Ron jumped and he sent an apologetic smile towards him, Neville sighed and walked closer to Charlotte. Lottie rolled her eyes when she heard the voice of her older brother.

"Excuse me, let me through. I'm head boy!"

Ron snorted as Percy pushed his way through the crowd, constantly boasting about him being the head boy. Ginny came towards them and exclaimed.

"The fat lady, she's gone."

Charlotte muttered.

"Elizabeth, her name is Elizabeth."

Ginny ignored her and Charlotte frowned, wondering where Elizabeth had gone. Students began to part way and Lottie gasped when the painting had three massive tears. Ron mumbled out.

"Serves her right, she was a terrible singer."

Charlotte flicked his ear and he yelped. Hermione scolded him.

"It's not funny, Ron."

They all moved aside as Dumbledore made his way to the portrait, he ordered as he looked at the ripped up painting.

"Mr Filch, round up the ghosts. Tell them to search every painting in the castle."

He continued talking, but Charlotte heard someone whispering her name.

"Charlotte!"

She turned to the voice and jumped when she saw Elizabeth hiding behind a hippo in another painting. Lottie turned back to Dumbledore and announced loudly.

"There's no need, Professor. She's right there."

Charlotte pointed to the painting and everyone looked, Dumbledore followed her as she went up to the painting. Other students were pushing and shoving as well, they stopped when Dumbledore put a hand up. Lottie stepped towards the painting and asked Elizabeth softly.

"Who did this to you, Elizabeth?"

She whimpered and replied.

"Eyes like the devil, he's got, and a soul as dark as his name. It was him, the one everyone is talking about. He's here, somewhere in the castle. Sirius Black!"

She let out a screech and Charlotte worriedly looked to Harry who was next to her, she grabbed his hand and rubbed his knuckles softly for comfort. Dumbledore sighed and ordered everyone to the great hall.

Charlotte dragged Harry along and made eye contact with Hermione, they both shared a look as they thought about Sirius Black.

There was a lot of sleeping bags in the hall for all the students to sleep in and all the doors in the castle were bolted shut and the teachers were on high alert. Gossiping and whispering were heard as the other students told theories about how Sirius could have gotten in. Charlotte, however, was layed next to Harry. Still holding his hand.

Percy eventually told everyone to quieten down and go to bed, but Harry and Charlotte layed awake facing each other and secretly listened to the teachers as they discussed. Snape announced.

"I've done the dungeons, Headmaster. No sign of Black, nor anywhere else in the castle."

Dumbledore softly sighed and responded in a hushed voice.

"I didn't really expect him to linger."

Snape replied.

"Remarkable feat, don't you think? To enter Hogwarts castle on one's own, completely undetected."

Charlotte could feel Dumbledore's gaze look over the students as Snape continued.

"You may recall, prior to the start of term. I did express my concerns when you appointed Professor-"

She rolled her eyes at Snape's assumption and knew he was going to say Professor Lupin. Thankfully, Dumbledore cut him off.

"I do not believe a single professor inside this castle would have helped Sirius Black enter it, Severus."

He paused before he continued.

"I feel quite confident the castle is safe, and I'm more than willing to let the students return to their houses. But for now, let them sleep."

Charlotte could feel Dumbledore's gaze linger on Harry and she looked at Harry as he lightly smiled, Lottie smiled back and heard Dumbledore talk again.

"It's astonishing what the body can endure when the mind allows itself to rest."

She hear their footsteps leave and Harry mouthed to Charlotte.

"Thank you."

She smiled and mouthed back.

"It's okay."

Her eyes started to get heavy and she soon fell asleep, not noticing Harry's fond stare as he watched her sleep.