Chapter 58

They day of the funeral Betty woke up at 5am and crawled out of jugheads arms and made her way into the hotel balcony so she could just sit and think before the day started. When jughead woke up about half an hour later, he reached out for Betty and when he saw she wasn't there he sat up. He saw her sat on the balcony and he frowned when he saw her shivering; she was only wearing her short pyjamas. He got out of bed and grabbed his hoodie and a blanket and made his way out to her. "Hey baby" he said softly. "Hey" she replied. "What are you doing out here baby?" He said. "Just thinking" she told him. "Put this on betts I don't want you to get sick" he said and helped her to put his hoodie on. "Thanks juggie" she said and her voice was thick and he knew she'd been crying. He didn't say anything as he sat next to her and wrapped her up in his arms, she snuggled close to him and he threw the blanket over them; they just sat and watched the sunrise. Jughead knew Betty just needed to collect her thoughts so he just let her be and was just there with her.

Later on jughead was dressed in his suit and ready to go. Betty stepped out of the bedroom, hair down, slight make up and a black dress. He stood up and placed his hands on her waist. "You look beautiful" he said softly. "Thank you" she said. "You ready for this?" He asked. "Ready as I'll ever be" she sighed and he hugged her tightly before lacing their fingers together and they left the hotel. When they arrived at the cemetery it seemed like half the town was there; the coopers were a respected family. Betty took a deep breath when they stood outside the church. "You've got this" jug whispered and squeezed her hand. "Elizabeth" Betty heard her mother's voice from behind them and she spun around. "Hey mom" she said. "You must be jughead..." Alice said and jughead nodded. "Nice to meet you" Jug said. There was an awkward silence until Alice said they should start going in.

The funeral was hard, Betty didn't cry but she was holding tightly onto jugheads hand the whole time. She watched as people got up and spoke about her father; people who didn't really know him and she watched as they left the church and the coffin was lowered into the ground. As soon as it was over Alice was telling everyone to make their way to the wake. "You Okay?" Jug asked Betty and she just nodded. The wake was held at Betty's childhood home and Betty felt out of place being back there; she hated the feeling of being back in her house. Loads of people came up to her saying how sorry they were, and some people even had the audacity to ask for photos and autographs, and only backed off when jughead told them it wasn't appropriate. Eventually Betty couldn't take all the fake smiles and while jughead was talking with people she whispered that she was going to step outside for some air. She was sat on the steps of the house when jughead came out and sat next to her; she instantly rested her head on his shoulder. They didn't say anything for a while until Betty said "I want to leave". Jughead nodded and helped her up and they didn't Bother going back inside and saying goodbye they just went back to the hotel.

As soon as they were back in their hotel room Betty collapsed into sobs on the floor. Jughead was instantly on the floor next to her, wrapping her up in his arms and rocking her trying to calm her down. "I love you, I've got you, it's okay, I'm here" he said to her and placed kisses on her head. He didn't know how long they sat their for but Betty was just crying and he breathing was erratic. "Betts? Take a deep breath for me" he said Softly and she tried to take a deep breath in. Jughead moved so he was sat in front of her and he held her hand to his chest so she could feel his heart beat and then used his other hand to rub up and down her back. "You're doing great baby, in and out, that's it" he encouraged as she continued to breath with him. When she had calmed down her held her to him and kissed her head, he could she was exhausted. He knew that she was going to breakdown when they were away from everyone because she never cried in front of people she didn't know, so now all he could was support her. "Shall we take a nap baby?" He asked and she nodded. He carried her to the bed and climbed in behind her, his arms coming around her waist. "Sleep tight baby" he whispered.