Chapter 53

It took jughead a moment to snap out of what he was looking at before rushing over to her. "Betty?! What's wrong?! What's happened?! Are you okay?! Are you hurt?!" A bunch of questions came out of his mouth as he tried to figure out what's happened. Behind him her heard the door close and Sweetpea, fangs and Toni were behind him, looking concerned. Betty hadn't said anything and just cried into her hands. "Betts? What's wrong?" He asked again and she looked up and his heart broke. Her eyes were red and puffy and mascara was all down her face. She didn't say anything just pushed her phone over to him and he looked at the message on the screen:

Mom: Elizabeth. You won't answer my phone calls but your father has passed away. He was ill. Funerals next week. I'll email you details.

Jug looked at the phone in shock then wrapped his arms around betty. "I'm so sorry baby" he whispered as he kissed her hair and rocked her in his arms as she sobbed. "She didn't tell me he was ill" she cried. "I didn't know!". Jugs heart broke for her and he held her tighter to him. He doesn't know how much time had passed but eventually he pulled away and wiped the tears from her face but more fell. "Let's go upstairs baby" he said softly and helped her up and lead them upstairs, mouthing to his friends he'd tell them later. He lead her up the stairs, keeping an arm around her to support her. When he got them into the bedroom he sat her on the end of the bed and crouched in front of her and let her cry into his shoulder. "It's okay baby, let it out. It's all going to be okay" he whispered gently in her ear. Eventually she pulled away and wiped her tears. "I bet I look like a mess" she said, trying to smile. "A beautiful mess" he smiled and kissed her cheek. "Tell me how you're feeling?" He pressed gently. "I don't know" she started "I... I was never that close with my parents, they were so hard on me all my life but my dad... he would sneak me chocolate when my mom wasn't looking and take me to pops when she was being overbearing" she sniffed. "I just didn't get to say goodbye..." she cried. "I know honey" he said, hating the broken look on her face. "I... I think I want to go and relax in the bath" she said. "Okay, I'll go and run one for you" and kissed her bed and walked into the bathroom.

After Betty was in the bath, jughead went downstairs to his friends. He found them sat on the couch, looking worried. "Is she Okay?" Toni asked when they saw jughead. "No" jug sighed and collapsed into a chair opposite them. "What happened?" Fangs asked. "Her dad passed away" Jug told them and they all gasped. "Oh poor Betty..." Toni whispered. "Can we do anything?" Sweetpea asked. "She's in the bath right now, I'm going to make her some tea and take it up in a minute, I think she'll just crash out and fall asleep to he honest but thanks for the offer" Jug said, gratefully. "Of course! Let us know if you need anything" fangs said and jug nodded and moved to the kitchen to make Betty a tea. When he was done he went back up to the bedroom and placed the tea on the bedside table and grabbed Betty's pyjamas and fluffy robe and went into the bathroom. Betty was sat in the bath, her hair wet and her arms wrapped around her knees. "Baby? You okay?" He said. "Can you wash my hair please?" She asked quietly and he smiled "of course". He leant over the bath and washed her hair, massaging the shampoo and conditioner in and then washing it out when he was done he asked "do you want to get out?" And she nodded. He helped her up and into a towel and dried her off. He placed a kissed on her forehead and handed her the pyjamas he picked out for her, they were her favourites, they were comfy and had pink bunnies on them. "You're robes there as well, come in the bedroom when you're done" he said softly and turned to walk out but Betty caught his hand. "Thanks for looking after me juggie" she said, and hugged him. "You're welcome" he whispered into her hair.

When Betty came into the bedroom, in her robe and went hair. She sat on her vanity and pulled out her hairdryer. "Can you dry my hair? I have no energy" she asked Jug who was sat on the bed. "Of course I will baby, here I made you tea" he said, handing her the mug and then standing behind her. He brushed and dried her hair and when he was done, he wrapped his arms around her shoulders from behind and kissed her shoulder. "I love you betts" he said to her. "I love you too" she said as their eyes met in the mirror. "I'm so grateful for you" she said. "Come on honey let's go to bed" he said and helped her stand. When they were tucked in bed and Betty fell asleep with her head on his chest; jughead was laying awake and couldn't help but let his mind wander. Would Betty be okay when she had to go home for the funeral? How would she react seeing her mother again?