Chapter 182 Crossing the Canyon

Flame Wave finally returned from the Ice-Fire Marsh: "We've reached the end of the canyon, and it looks like it leads to the interior of the abyss."

"The interior of the abyss?" Raina Grace was puzzled. Weren't they already inside the abyss?

Flame Wave stared at the end of the canyon, his tone uncertain: "There, it might not be the abyss, but another space, even another world..."

Raina Grace suddenly felt that this might be the truth, also explaining her ongoing confusion: "Is it very different from here?"

She was vague, but Flame Wave understood completely, which was also what he wanted to express. An ice-fire canyon divided two worlds: "It's similar to the abyssal caves we visited before, even the elemental magnetic storms are close. It's possible that the abyss is just a part of this space. This abyss might be much more complex than we imagined."

Raina Grace gazed at Flame Wave, reading unspeakable things from his unease: "Maybe Willow Wood never intended to take me to the abyss, so I've always been on this side. And you," she looked at Flame Wave, "arrived here through a portal."

"But what about Flicker Shadow?" she turned to Flicker Shadow, "Entering directly through a crack in the abyss. According to your description, those gloomy and bizarre tunnels, the monsters with unique physiological structures and attack methods filling every corner of the abyss, and the plants with tentacles and self-awareness, cold, venomous, presenting unforeseeable dangers... But these are just a hundred times more dangerous than the underground world compared to Verdant Thistle Forest. However, my experience with Flame Wave is from another world, a land filled with fantastical dangers, beyond the common sense of this world."

Flicker Shadow compared the life in Verdant Thistle Forest and the adventures in the abyss in his mind: "You're right, the reason I've survived in the abyss for so long, aside from WeeStick's help, is because I had been living alone in Verdant Thistle Forest for those years."

His descent into madness was due to the abyss's sunless, cold environment, the pervasive abyssal power and dark toxins, and his endless fear and unease as time passed.

"So, how did you enter here from there?" Flame Wave raised his hand towards the other side of the canyon, "If not through this marsh."

"I don't know." Flicker Shadow was in a frenzied state at that time, with no memory of where he passed or what he did.

With WeeStick's and his own description, Raina Grace could imagine what state Flicker Shadow was in—almost purely instinctual, driven by the desire to survive. "It's alright not to know. Since the exit is almost certainly on that side, we'll go through this marsh."

"I think so too." Flame Wave nodded, "This means WeeStick will have a hard time again. I wonder if it can last that long? We can only go one by one."

WeeStick nodded vigorously, telling Raina Grace, "I can do it, just watch me!"

Raina Grace touched it: "WeeStick is really capable now, but you also need to measure your strength."

Flame Wave hesitated again: "But I'm worried if we spread out, we won't be able to help each other in case of an emergency." Losing Raina Grace again would make all his efforts in vain.

Flicker Shadow also considered this possibility: "I disagree with splitting up. I want to go with Raina Grace." Then he pulled WeeStick over, "You're not the weak twig you used to be; you should be able to carry two people!"

Years of compliance to Flicker Shadow made WeeStick dare not resist, only nodding timidly.

Flame Wave frowned: "But if it's too forced and it can't support us halfway, it will be difficult."

"Didn't you say there are places to rest in the middle?" Flicker Shadow had a plan, "We can walk and stop, very relaxed."

WeeStick quickly returned to Raina Grace's protection, muttering, "His so-called relaxation is because he's not human!"

"Can't you carry two people at once?" Raina Grace was worried WeeStick was overreaching.

"I can try." WeeStick knew it had grown significantly but preferred a stable approach, seeking comfort from Raina Grace while not wanting to appear weak.

"How about this, we three move together. Flame Wave and I will try to pass by the cliffs on the side, and if we really can't pass, we'll ask WeeStick for help." Not keeping Raina Grace in sight made Flame Wave uneasy, especially when he went to the Ice-Fire Marsh alone, he was always anxious. "Raina Grace, I entrust you to WeeStick."

What is called gentlemanly demeanor? This is it! WeeStick flew in front of Flame Wave, turning in a circle, its lively dance expressing its appreciation.

Raina Grace smiled: "It seems WeeStick really appreciates Flame Wave's suggestion, and I definitely have no problem. What do you think, Flicker Shadow?"

Flicker Shadow would not be outdone by Flame Wave: "Since Flame Wave thinks it's okay, I've been rock climbing and scaling cliffs for a long time, definitely no more difficult than him."

Flicker Shadow was right; his performance in the canyon was indeed no worse than Flame Wave's. Flame Wave had already made the journey once, but Flicker Shadow seemed to act on instinct, and they were evenly matched. The competitive spirit of the two men made crossing the Ice-Fire Canyon seem easy.

Raina Grace hardly needed to exert herself, instead, she was frightened by their risky competition and dared not watch them anymore, turning her attention to the surroundings of the canyon.

If initially, Raina Grace was shocked by the spectacle and bravado displayed by the canyon, now she was intimidated by its breathing and roaring. It sometimes murmured dully, sometimes screamed sharply, accompanied by whispers that seemed to come from endless darkness, without a clear source or specific rhythm, constantly echoing in the canyon, silencing all other creatures.

At one point, Raina Grace saw a bird that had mistakenly entered the abyss, trapped within the canyon. The air filled with intense flames and cold made the bird extremely confused and uneasy. It flapped its wings frantically, struggling to fly higher, to escape the canyon, but just as it almost reached the top, a bone-chilling cold suddenly hit, freezing its wings instantly, slowing its movement for a moment, and then a fiery flame engulfed it like a tongue of fire.

The bird's desperate cries seemed so weak in this desolate environment, its body dissolving into ashes, leaving only a strong smell of char and a wisp of smoke.

Raina Grace dared not scream or even close her eyes. In such an environment, she not only had to deal with extreme visual scenes but also bear the unsettling sounds, ensuring she firmly held onto WeeStick to prevent slipping down or being affected by the ice and fire. Flame Wave had warned her that the canyon contained both visible fire and hidden ice, and there might also be unknown shockwaves, which were very dangerous and required constant protection with elemental magnetic force to cope.

When they finally reached the end, Raina Grace was sweating profusely, firmly believing that if there were a next time, she would rather explore herself than worry about her companions and the environment.