Chapter 98 Accidental Collision

Leaving Flame Wave's study with a lack of energy, Gold Shine certainly wasn't in a hurry to report to the Scholar's Pavilion for resources. He felt famished and needed to replenish his energy, so he headed to the kitchen.

Flamer Horizon followed behind Gold Shine, hesitated for a moment, but continued to follow. "What's up? Aren't you in a rush to patrol? Why follow me? I'm just looking for something to eat," Gold Shine said, somewhat irritably.

"I'm also going to the kitchen, but not the same place as you. So, you don't need to worry," Flamer Horizon responded, usually not one to pick fights outside of combat.

"What do you mean worry? Wait, Celestial Balance Fortress has another kitchen? How do I not know about this?" Gold Shine, who never liked to be the last to know about anything food-related, was taken aback that a warrior knew of a kitchen he didn't.

"It's a temporary setup for food preparation, nothing that would impress you," Flamer Horizon explained briefly about the kitchen's origin.

Flamer Horizon knew of this kitchen because he had been investigating the background of a woman from the Wood Alliance, who had temporarily appeared near Celestial Balance Fortress. This kitchen was where the few women among the temporary workers prepared meals for the craftsmen from the Wood Alliance.

"A kitchen from the Wood Alliance? That must offer quite a unique flavor. How could I miss such a rare opportunity?" Gold Shine said enthusiastically. "I didn't expect we'd have this in common, a taste for unique cuisine. The usual, standard fare hardly excites my appetite."

Unlike Gold Shine, who lived for food, Flamer Horizon, who viewed food merely as sustenance, couldn't relate. However, he couldn't admit he was just there to see if the woman was among the workers. That would lead to endless questions, and he wasn't even sure of his own motives. Maybe he just wanted to thank her? He had been quite rude that day; she had helped him with a tricky problem, and aside from escorting her back to the Wood Alliance, he hadn't even thanked her or exchanged names.

Having learned she might be working at Celestial Balance Fortress, he hadn't seen her at the only place she could be. He held no hope this time, so he was stunned when he saw her slender figure.

Raina Grace's diet primarily consisted of natural, mature fruits and vegetables, so cooking was foreign to her. Assigned to the kitchen on a temporary basis, everyone knew of her special status and didn't expect much from her. Nonetheless, she didn't plan to stand idly by and helped with menial tasks like carrying dishes.

Currently, she was carrying a large basin filled with a mix of bean paste and minced meat, struggling with the size and the smell, which made her eyes water. Not noticing Gold Shine in front of her, she bumped into him.

Gold Shine, in disgust, pushed the basin away without thinking, causing Raina to almost lose her balance. Flamer Horizon quickly stepped forward to steady the basin in her hands.

Relieved that the food wasn't spilled, Raina thanked him, "Thank you so much. If this had spilled, the workers would've gone hungry." Then she turned to Gold Shine with a reproach, "Sir, were you planning to dive into the basin to satisfy your hunger? I fear these might not suit your taste."

Gold Shine, who prided himself on his culinary taste, was taken aback by her retort. Not used to being talked back to, especially regarding food, his mood soured, and he snapped, "Is this slop meant for pigs? Move it away; it's nauseating."

Raina, unaccustomed to such rudeness, was at a loss for words. Gold Shine, realizing his lack of manners too late, attempted to smooth things over, "My apologies. The workload these past days has made me react too strongly. Fortunately, Flamer Horizon was here to assist. Are you alright?"

Raina, taken aback by his sudden change of demeanor, managed a forced smile and turned to Flamer Horizon, still holding the basin, "Thank you, I can take it from here."

Flamer Horizon, not letting her take the basin, insisted, "It's too heavy for you. Where do you need it?"

Surprised by his offer, Raina hesitated, "It's alright, you shouldn't trouble yourself."

"Do you not recognize me?" Flamer Horizon asked, slightly offended as he recognized her immediately.

Raina, not good at remembering faces, recalled Flamer Horizon's distinct presence upon his hint, "Ah, you're from the Flame family..."

"My name is Flamer Horizon," he introduced himself promptly.

"Nice to meet you," Raina replied without offering her own name, assuming he might not be interested in a nobody from the Wood Alliance. "Thank you for the other day. I should handle this; it's my job."

Flamer Horizon, still not releasing the basin, asked for her name and if this was her usual work in the Wood Alliance.

"My name is Raina Grace," she responded, seeing no harm in answering since he asked. "This is just temporary work."

"To have a woman do such work, even temporarily, seems unlike the Wood Alliance," Flamer Horizon commented, still fixated on the basin as if it mattered more than it should.

Gold Shine, feeling ignored, was about to leave when he heard Raina's name, sparking a vague memory. His curiosity halted him, "Have you worked at the Prosperous Gathering before?"

Flamer Horizon criticized Gold Shine's lack of decorum, "Scholar, please refrain from further insults. This place isn't for you."

"What? How have I insulted anyone now?" Gold Shine felt the day couldn't get worse. After being pushed by Flame Wave, his appetite ruined by the food, and now accused of being unwelcome for trying to make polite conversation.

Raina intervened, "Yes, I've worked at the Prosperous Gathering. There's no insult in that."

To Raina, everyone at the Prosperous Gathering was of high caliber, something she felt she couldn't match. If Raina was indeed from the Prosperous Gathering and spoke so, could she know Flame Wave? "Do you know Flame Wave?" Gold Shine asked uncertainly.

"How could she know the security chief?" Flamer Horizon was still processing Raina's complex background.

Raina's heart raced, denying knowledge of the security chief but admitting, "I know someone named Flame Wave."

"I thought you were going to say you didn't know Flame Wave," a mocking voice came from the doorway. Raina turned to see Flame Wave, standing tall, his expression a mix of amusement and anger, clearly having overheard the conversation.