Chapter 76 Departing Hearts and Morals

The necklace was simple, devoid of lavish decorations, strung on a thread of translucent and lustrous silk. At its center hung an exquisite scallop-shaped pendant made from the piece of Azure Phoenix eggshell.

The shell, unpolished, retained its original form and appearance. Its texture was delicate and smooth, exuding a warm, shell-like color. Subtle patterns, resembling nature's intricate designs, could be faintly seen, changing with the light, creating a beautiful and mysterious effect.

The silk thread exuded a luxurious texture, like mist or drizzle, softly encompassing the shell, as if whispering softly. Its natural and pure charm echoed harmony and beauty.

"Is this the silk of the Colorful Spider? It looks so beautiful on the eggshell!" Raina Grace sincerely admired.

"Yes, I processed it a bit. I found that this spider silk is impervious to water and fire, and extremely tough. Strung with your treasured eggshell, you won't have to worry about losing it," Flicker Shadow explained.

"It's truly beautiful. Thank you, Flicker Shadow," Raina Grace said fondly, "Could you help me put it on?"

Flicker Shadow put the necklace on her, casually asking, "Raina Grace, the chief wants you to be the Saintess of the Freemen Tribe. Would you like that?"

"Saintess? Like Arlinwood?" Raina Grace was surprised, "Do they really need a Saintess? Why me?"

"Do you think just anyone can be a Saintess?" Flicker Shadow smiled, "Finding a suitable Saintess is difficult. But the chief thinks you're capable."

"I can't," Raina Grace decisively said, "I'm not from the valley, I don't feel a sense of belonging here. And I don't like doing these things. Please refuse on my behalf."

"Hmm..." After a pause, Flicker Shadow said, "I guessed you wouldn't agree, so I already refused for you."

"That's good." Raina Grace sighed in relief, "Besides, we'll be returning to the hot spring cottage soon, right?"

"Yes..." Flicker Shadow hesitated before asking, "Raina Grace, after we return to the hot spring cottage, will you continue to help the Terra Grove tribe? Can't you just stay neutral, and we live our peaceful life? Weren't we happy before?"

Raina Grace found it difficult: "I don't know, I'm not even sure if I can really help them. But..."

"But," Flicker Shadow continued, "you'll try your best to help, won't you?"

Raina Grace nodded, "Yes. Because I promised. You're not angry, are you, Flicker Shadow?"

The Terra Grove tribe's matters had caused several arguments between them, with Flicker Shadow always getting emotional. Raina Grace began to fear touching this topic.

Yet, since Flicker Shadow brought it up, she didn't want to hide her thoughts. She was just a bit apprehensive about facing his aggressive demeanor.

Flicker Shadow, noticing her tension, changed the subject: "I'm not angry. It looks beautiful on you."

The atmosphere between Raina Grace and Flicker Shadow grew silent afterward, as if something had changed.

In the following days, Raina Grace saw no one but the person guarding her door – Crimson.

Unlike their first encounter, Crimson ignored Raina Grace and didn't let her go out.

One day, Crimson said, "Come, the chief wants to see you."

At the chief's place, several people waited for her. Some she recognized, some she didn't.

Among those she knew were Flicker Shadow, White Lightning, and the chief.

To her surprise, the chief was the same old chief, still in a commanding position.

"You're still the chief?" she asked.

"Yes!" The chief seemed both resigned and content, "I still can't shed this burden!"

He scrutinized Raina Grace: "You seem in good spirits! Good, girl, you've got courage! Worthy of being the Saintess candidate I chose!"

Raina Grace smiled lightly, "No, you're mistaken, it won't be me."

"Don't be so ungrateful!" someone scolded from the side.

"You don't get to talk here!" Flicker Shadow's voice interjected. But Raina Grace didn't turn around.

White Lightning also intervened: "The chief is here, let's hear what he says."

"You shouldn't be so stubborn! You're young, why not embrace a bright future?" the chief said earnestly, "Listen to an old man's advice. Not for my sake, but for Flicker Shadow's. He's done so much for you."

"Didn't you agree with Coiled Stone to let someone else be chief? You don't keep your word?" Raina Grace didn't answer but countered.

"Coiled Stone..." the chief sighed, "He's also determined to the end. He blamed me for the former Saintess's death, even sacrificing himself to force me to abdicate. If I didn't agree, who knows what he would've done."

White Lightning added, "Raina Grace, the chief did pass the position to Wind Voice, but Wind Voice isn't up to the task, especially now when the tribe is in such turmoil. So the old chief had to take up this burden again under strong demand."

Raina Grace had nothing to say; she knew whatever she asked, they had a myriad of reasons and excuses. So she remained silent, waiting to see what they planned to do with her.

"Are you still resentful about me calling you a witch?" the old chief said sorrowfully, "If so, I apologize. Or do I need to kneel for your forgiveness?" He started to rise.

"Chief, no need," others quickly stopped him, "A venerable chief like you, how can you kneel before a young girl?"

"Raina Grace, say something." Flicker Shadow came beside her, whispering with a pleading tone.

Raina Grace looked up at him, seeing his face clouded, not the cheerful and resolute Flicker Shadow she knew.

"Everyone leave," the chief ordered, "Let me talk to her alone."

"But, chief, what if she does something dangerous..." someone worried.

"I'm not afraid," the chief said, "If it's my fate, I accept it. This matter must be resolved. Leave us!"

No one disobeyed the chief, even Flicker Shadow left, leaving only Raina Grace and the chief.

"Heh, you're as Flicker Shadow said, not easily compromised," the chief's tone changed once they were alone, shedding the image of a cautious, humble old man for a confident, powerful tribal leader.

This was his true nature, Raina Grace thought, feeling more at ease. She disliked when people spoke to her wearing masks.

The chief, seeing her unchanged demeanor, scoffed, "Waiting for your backup to help you? Have you been waiting these days?"

Backup? Raina Grace didn't understand.

"Humph, no use pretending," the chief said, "To prevent you from contacting the Star Domain and the Terra Grove tribe, we've already tampered with you."

"The poison on the necklace?" Raina Grace finally confirmed her suspicion, "Yes," the chief laughed cruelly, "But without Flicker Shadow's help, I couldn't have done it."

"So Flicker Shadow knew?" Raina Grace asked softly.

"He knew part of it," the chief didn't exaggerate, "He knew I tampered with your necklace, I told him it was a secret medicine to prevent you from contacting the outside world. But he still put it on you, right?"