Chapter 30 Strategist White Lightning

Granny Rain loved children, which was why she adopted Raina Grace.

But Raina herself had never thought about the matter of having children, and Granny Rain had never taught her anything about it.

Confused, Raina looked at Flicker Shadow, hoping he would explain more.

In the Free People Tribe, having children was promoted as a noble and meaningful act, with many women enjoying it.

However, Flicker Shadow, a half-grown child with a penchant for adventure, had little interest or knowledge in this area. Now, under Raina's innocent and puzzled gaze, he felt awkward.

Even the often-heard tribal discussions about having children, both crude and refined, good and bad, seemed suddenly difficult to articulate.

Yet, Flicker Shadow instinctively felt this matter was important for Raina. He didn't want her to make choices based on others' words without understanding. So, he tried to recall what he knew, summarizing from his limited experience:

Having children meant you couldn't move around freely, only staying in the tribe, as it posed a danger to the children; women who had children didn't have to do any laborious work because childbearing was hard; young women usually liked having children.

The idea of not being able to move freely already made Raina dislike the notion, and White Lightning's earlier words bothered her even more: were women from the Surface Domain only meant for childbearing?

Thinking through the key points, she asked, "Do young women like having children because there's nothing else they can do?"

Flicker Shadow thought about it and realized it was indeed true. Women stayed in the tribe from the age they could bear children, and later, those who didn't want to or couldn't have children started doing other things. There were few exceptions, like "Crimson, who only wanted to patrol with them."

Because Crimson was robust and not many wanted to have children with her.

"Patrol?" That sounded appealing. "Then I'll patrol with you guys," Raina said.

Flicker Shadow considered it possible. Although White Lightning decided the members of his team, Flicker Shadow never quite understood his criteria. But he wanted to take Raina with him, and White Lightning probably wouldn't object.

Now the task was to inform Wind Voice, as people with different duties lived in separate areas.

"What? Raina is going on patrol with you?" Wind Voice was very surprised. "You're willing to take her with you?"

Since Flicker Shadow had asked Raina if she wanted to join the Free People Tribe, he had been treating her as his guest and even a person under his protection. He always took her with him wherever he went. Flicker Shadow saw nothing wrong in adding Raina to his patrol team.

Wind Voice knew more, including that the members of Flicker Shadow's patrol team were approved by the tribal chief and managed by the clever White Lightning. But now, bringing in a seemingly unskilled little girl might disrupt the chief's plans.

"Have you asked White Lightning about it?" Wind Voice thought of passing the decision to White Lightning, knowing he was Flicker Shadow's de facto strategist and better at dealing with him. Wind Voice didn't want to offend Flicker Shadow further.

"So you agree?" Flicker Shadow already assumed White Lightning wouldn't oppose him and proceeded with the next step.

"Then she'll live with us?" He indicated Raina, "We'll prepare everything for her."

Before Wind Voice could respond, Flicker Shadow had already left with Raina. Wind Voice hesitated but didn't call them back.

Merely based on a guess, Wind Voice felt somewhat uncomfortable about bringing Raina to the tribe, though not as furious as Coiled Stone. It seemed that they, the initiators, were overly busy and jumpy.

So he decided to wait and see how these two would fare in the tribe.

As Wind Voice anticipated, White Lightning was firmly against Raina joining, "What joke is this? Members of our Lightning team are carefully selected, each very strong. How can you suddenly say she's joining?"

Flicker Shadow disdainfully looked at White Lightning, simply stating, "I'm bringing her along."

White Lightning clutched his chest, feigning injury, "What's with that look? I know I'm the weakest in physical strength in the team, but I rely on this," pointing to his head, "I'm the smartest in the team!"

Facing Flicker Shadow's doubtful gaze, White Lightning was in distress. He admired Flicker Shadow's pure and single-minded pursuit of martial prowess but now just wanted to cry and beg Flicker Shadow to understand his effort and dedication.

Flicker Shadow, stubborn and hard to persuade, left White Lightning considering another approach. "Hey, you, clean and pretty little girl, why do you want to do such dangerous and hard work? Isn't it better to stay happily in the tribe, doing joyful things every day?"

Amused by White Lightning's exaggerated expressions and actions, Raina laughed and asked him, "What joyful things can be done every day?"

Dazzled by her smile, White Lightning stammered, "Just smile like this, and many will come to play with you."

"How to play?" Raina asked.

White Lightning was at a loss for words. How to play? How do men and women play? As a flirt, he felt embarrassed to voice it. But another noble reason came to mind: "To have children!"

Flicker Shadow, with a knowing look, said, "She doesn't like that."

"How do you know she doesn't like it?" White Lightning chased after Flicker Shadow, "Every girl likes it. Why wouldn't she?"

"I know I don't like it," Raina concluded, then asked another question, "Are the requirements for joining strict? What can everyone do? I'll work hard to learn."

On this topic, White Lightning beamed with pride, "Some are strong, some are good at shooting, climbing, or digging holes. I'm best at identifying terrain and direction. The most impressive is Flicker Shadow, strong in attack, flexibility, and endurance. To survive in this perilous forest, one must rely on hiding and stealth, and to gain achievements, one needs hunting and capturing skills." Finally, he sighed with implication, "Without any one of us, our long-established coordination and understanding will be greatly burdened."

Raina was impressed and even more eager to join them

Raina was impressed and even more eager to join them. She looked at Flicker Shadow expectantly, "Let me see what I can do, I'll listen to you."

Flicker Shadow smiled at White Lightning, then told Raina, "We'll see, everyone finds their place."