Chapter 156 Mutual Admiration

The long-missed hot spring cottage in the Verdant Thistle Forest remained unchanged. The bubbling spring water still flowed cheerfully, and an old robe left behind during their last departure still draped over the bedpost; fresh orchids still adorned the vase by the window.

It seemed as if all the changes in the world had nothing to do with this secluded paradise, quietly waiting for her return; just like Flicker Shadow silently watching her from outside the window.

Raina Grace looked up and smiled at Flicker Shadow, who smiled back. But they both knew that their smiles were no longer the same as before.

"How is Luminous Harmony? Still unconscious?" Raina Grace broke the silence.

Flicker Shadow had already told Raina Grace everything about encountering Luminous Harmony, including his mysterious unconsciousness later on. He had passed out at a critical moment when Flicker Shadow was anxiously searching for Raina Grace, and Flicker Shadow had almost wished he could wake him with a punch.

Raina Grace also shared everything that happened to her in the Abyss after she stayed behind. Comparing notes, they suspected that the moment when the "Abyss Whisper's" voice disappeared in the cave was when Luminous Harmony became unconscious; there must be some connection between the two. But everything would have to wait until Luminous Harmony woke up.

"No. I've tied him up and thrown him into an abandoned natural pit, with Lightning guarding it. If he makes any movement, Lightning will notify us." The pit was deep, sometimes used by Flame Wave to imprison wild beasts as food for Flicker Shadow and him. Now, it was being used to detain Luminous Harmony.

"Then, since there's nothing urgent now, may I take a bath?" Raina Grace sniffed her sleeve, making a disgusted face, "I feel uncomfortable."

Flicker Shadow felt somewhat awkward: "I'm even more... You're not, you're clean, you smell good..."

Flicker Shadow was telling the truth. Raina Grace always had a scent as fresh as the forest and as endless as the sea, often making him reminisce. Being able to smell it again felt like a dream, as if it had been a lifetime ago.

"But I can still smell the cold air from the Abyss. And, I've missed our hot spring..."

"Mm, then enjoy a good soak. Your clothes are still in the usual place."

Relaxing in the hot spring, chatting idly, eating game in the most natural environment, and feeling the most primal calm, Raina Grace stretched languidly: "It's been so long since I've felt this comfortable... Ever since arriving in the Sky Domain, one thing has followed another, all so taxing and strenuous..."

Illusory Splendor, Pine Mist Mountain, Bamboo Home, Gold and Silver Sea, Azure and White Forest, Sky Whisper, Pale Jade Tree... She told Flicker Shadow everything, one by one.

Flicker Shadow remained silent throughout, quietly enjoying the moment, a scene he had not even dared to dream of countless times. His beloved girl sat on a stone by the hot spring, her posture leisurely and relaxed. Comfortably leaning against a large rock, her legs lightly crossed, she dipped her feet into the warm spring water. The light filtered through the leaves, casting a soft glow over her.

She spoke as if narrating a story rather than her own experiences, her tone gentle and vivid, her voice cheerful and clear, like a stream flowing through the mountains. She smiled occasionally, sometimes lost in memory.

She would sigh at times, especially when mentioning key moments or important figures, her eyes would become focused, occasionally drawing shapes with her fingers, depicting a world completely beyond Flicker Shadow's comprehension, so dazzling.

"Why so quiet?" Raina Grace finally stopped, noticing Flicker Shadow's silence, "Sorry, I shouldn't just talk about myself, I should also ask about you."

Flicker Shadow smiled: "I was just listening intently, you were so captivating. Raina Grace, you never used to talk so much or have so many experiences. Although it sounded stressful, seeing you now safe and vibrant, I'm truly happy for you."

Raina Grace kicked at the hot spring water, lazily leaning against the rock, looking up at the endless canopy of towering trees in the Verdant Thistle Forest—where the sky was always obscured, seemingly shielding them from most strife and trouble. "Why is it that wherever the sun shines, there are shadows? Be it the Elemental Magnetic Domain or the Free Tribes, places where the sky is visible are also filled with desires and turmoil."

Realizing Raina Grace's mood had suddenly dipped, Flicker Shadow wondered if he had said something wrong. But he wouldn't deliberately correct himself; he would only speak his true feelings, letting her see the real him. "Having desires means wanting to live well, wanting to do one's best for oneself or loved ones. I grew up in the Free Tribes hearing a story about the love between the sun and the moon. At a mysterious moment, they meet, share a beautiful time together, but are also doomed to part."

He paused, trying to express what he had learned over the years in the Verdant Thistle Forest: "Everyone has their own light and shadow, like day and night. These shadows aren't bad; amidst desires and turmoil, some dreams rise to the surface, dreams that you might never notice in a calm life."

"Do you remember White Lightning?" Flicker Shadow asked Raina Grace, "He's now the chief of the Free Tribes, after going through a series of power struggles. Whether it was for ambition or ideals, no one knows. But at least now, the Free Tribes are more open and willing to try new powers."

"So, do you often go back?" Raina Grace had always felt that Flicker Shadow would share his experience of merging elemental magnetic power with his tribespeople. Everything he had learned was self-taught during his exile in the Verdant Thistle Forest, and he had always hoped his people could become stronger, no longer fearing the Verdant Thistle Forest, but becoming its masters or co-inhabitants.

Flicker Shadow nodded: "Occasionally."

"Then, why don't you live there?" Raina Grace understood Flicker Shadow's sympathy and responsibility towards his people, but why did he choose solitude?

"Maybe I've just gotten used to being alone," Flicker Shadow looked at Raina Grace tenderly, his eyes brimming with unspoken meanings.

"Raina Grace," moved and guilty, "we're like the sun and moon you mentioned..."

"I know." Flicker Shadow's voice was soft and warm, "You also know that since coming to the Verdant Thistle Forest, I found the place that truly belongs to me. Although I have my tribe and, a loved one, I'd rather face my past and future alone."

His gaze lingered on Raina Grace, silently telling her that he was grateful for her arrival and departure, a ray of sunshine in the skyless Verdant Thistle Forest, warming his heart.

Raina Grace nodded lightly, accepting Flicker Shadow's choice. Their meeting and knowing each other were like the most insignificant collision and separation of two stars in the vast universe, some reminiscing the heat and explosion, some waiting for everything to cool down...