Chapter 54 Confrontation in the Valley

Upon arriving at the Free Folk tribe, the surroundings were eerily quiet, unlike the usual bustling with people coming and going.

However, Flicker Shadow noticed someone peering from the entrance. Upon seeing their group, the figure swiftly disappeared, likely to send a warning.

"Are you sure you want to go in?" Flicker Shadow asked, "I don't think they're very welcoming of us."

"Of course, they aren't," Raina Grace replied indifferently, "People who were driven away coming back isn't usually a good sign. But we're really not here to cause trouble."

Flicker Shadow nodded and remained silent, indicating he would follow Raina Grace's lead.

Raina Grace headed straight for the valley's entrance. She thought it was a routine act: she had sent her greetings, intending only to return their 'Saintess' home and possibly discuss matters with the chieftain.

To her surprise, upon entering the valley, she found herself in a tense standoff—strong young men gathered, forming a defensive line, and some even stealthily moved to encircle them.

But then—"Ah, why is there a beast here?" They saw Lightning.

"How can a wild beast enter the valley?" someone exclaimed.

Lightning, having been with Flicker Shadow since its birth, was significantly influenced by him. While its animal instincts remained, as WeeStick noted, it didn't fear the Terra Grove's deterrent like other creatures, thanks to WeeStick's friendly signals. Unfazed by the valley's prohibition against wild beasts, Lightning followed Flicker Shadow inside.

"You really are a witch!" An elderly man emerged from the crowd.

Raina Grace recognized him instantly, despite having met him only once. This lean, goateed old man, who looked kind and wise, was the chieftain of the Free Folk.

Having heard about him from Arlinwood, Raina Grace knew he was a difficult character, essential to resolving the issues between the Wood Realm and the Free Folk.

Raina Grace initially wasn't sure how the chieftain would handle the situation. She had expected hostility due to her unique background—escaping from the Terra Grove, abducting a Wood Heart, living with the Saintess, knowing many secrets of the Free Folk, and so on. These were all threats to the chieftain.

As expected, the chieftain saw her as a significant threat, confronting her with such a force, and immediately branding her a "witch." This meant whatever she said next could be dismissed as deceit.

"Not only did you bring a dangerous beast into our valley, but you also brazenly present the Saintess's body to us. Are you telling us that you've killed the Saintess, and we, the Free Folk, should surrender to you?" the chieftain accused angrily.

Indeed, he quickly accused Raina Grace of several heinous acts.

But it didn't stop there. "Is that Flicker Shadow with you? He was our tribe's finest warrior, seduced by you into betraying us, ending up in this sorry state," he exclaimed with feigned realization. "Oh, I see now. Is this what happens to those who follow you? Turned into something neither human nor ghost?"

He continued furiously, "We are humans, not beasts. You won't tame us, the Free Folk. We will fight you to the end!"

After speaking, the chieftain shook his cloak and gestured to his people, "What do you say, warriors of the Free Folk?"

"Do you want to become beasts?"

"No!"

"Do you want our women and children killed?"